Gingerbread French Toast with Walnut Caramel Sauce
Sweet 'n' spiced gingerbread french toast is smothered with a sweet, gooey walnut caramel sauce for the ultimate holiday twist on french toast!
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices stale french bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
Walnut Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
Make the french toast: In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, molasses, and spices until smooth.
Heat a skillet over medium-high then add butter until melted and hot. Working in batches, dip french bread slices in egg mixture and place in hot skillet. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, flipping once. Keep french toast warm.
Make the walnut caramel sauce: In a small pan over medium-high heat, bring butter, sugar, agave, and water to a low simmer. Cook caramel until a dark golden brown. Remove from heat and whisk in cream and salt. Stir in walnuts and serve caramel sauce warm over french toast. Enjoy!