Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Steak Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits
Loaded with steak and potatoes in a rich beer sauce and topped with buttery cheddar biscuits, this steak pot pie is an irresistible weeknight comfort food!
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs top round steak, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup dark stout beer (or additional beef broth)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, grated on box grater and frozen
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melted butter for brushing, optional
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmery. Add beef, onion, and season with salt and pepper. Saute beef and onion, stirring occasionally until beef is almost no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes.
Add carrot and potato to beef and let cook an additional 3-5 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened and beef is cooked through. Add garlic and flour and saute 1-2 additional minutes until fragrant.
Reduce heat to medium and begin slowly adding beef broth and beer, stirring well until sauce is smooth. Bring sauce to a low simmer and let cook 5-10 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Remove filling from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour filling in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut butter into crumbly. Add milk and cheese to flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
Turn dough onto a surface and very gently knead several times until dough just comes together. Pat dough out to 1-in thickness and use a 2-in biscuit cutter to cut biscuits out (you should have around 8)
Arrange biscuits in rows of two over steak filling. Bake pot pie at 400F 20-25 minutes until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly. Brush biscuits with melted butter if desired. Serve hot and enjoy!
Serving: 1biscuit + 4 oz filling | Calories: 562kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.1g | Protein: 40.8g | Fat: 24.2g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 727mg | Potassium: 908mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5.9g | Calcium: 236mg | Iron: 6mg