Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole
Loaded with cheese and lots of tender zucchini, this cheesy zucchini rice casserole is the perfect use for extra zucchini and the easiest comfort food to make with leftover rice!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% or skim milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1 cup shredded monetary jack cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add onion, zucchini, and summer squash and saute several minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic and oregano and cook 1 additional minute until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk flour into butter and cook 1-2 minutes until a light golden brown. Slowly whisk in milk and cream until sauce is smooth. Cook sauce over medium heat until bubbly and slightly thickened. Remove sauce from heat and add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
Add rice, sauce, and corn to vegetables in skillet and fold until evenly combined. Season rice with salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Scrape rice mixture into prepared pan and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar and monterey jack cheese. Scatter halved tomatoes over top.
Bake casserole at 400F 25-30 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with basil. Allow to stand several minutes before serving warm. Enjoy!
Store casserole in refrigerator up to 6 days.
Serving: 8oz | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.2g | Protein: 12.4g | Fat: 17.3g | Saturated Fat: 9.5g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 208mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 3.1g | Sugar: 6.3g | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 8mg