Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Pineapple Jerk Chicken Meatballs
Spicy jerk chicken meatballs simmered in a sweet and perfectly sticky pineapple sauce are packed full of flavor and heavenly served over fluffy rice!
Servings 4 servings
Jerk Chicken Meatballs
- 1 small scotch bonnet (or habanero) pepper, cored
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/2 cup lightly-packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pineapple, diced in 1/4-in cubes
- Hot rice and additional cilantro for serving
Jerk Chicken Meatballs
Combine pepper, garlic, ginger, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, allspice, 5-spice powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse several times until mixture is very finely chopped.
Scrape processed mixture into a large bowl and add chicken, panko, and egg. Gently knead until combined and form into 1-in meatballs.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil and swirl pan to evenly coat. Add meatballs to pan and sear on all sides, turning occasionally with a tongs until meatballs are golden brown. Transfer meatballs to a clean plate and set aside.
Wipe pan clean and add pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch-water mixture. Stir sauce over medium heat until bubbly and slightly thickened. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Add meatballs and diced pineapple to sauce and toss until evenly coated. Cover pan and allow to simmer over medium-low heat 5-10 minutes until meatballs register 165F. Serve meatballs warm over hot rice with cilantro on top and enjoy!
Serving: 4meatballs (calculated without rice) | Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.2g | Protein: 24.5g | Fat: 18.7g | Saturated Fat: 4.7g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 975mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 24.4g | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 3mg