Plenty of fall spices and pumpkin collide in these extra-soft pumpkin spiced cornbread wedges that go perfectly with a bowl of hot chili!
This cornbread. SQUEAL!! It’s signifying maaaaaany amazing things to come. Fall-ish things. (!!!)
Yeah, guys. I’m not holding back ANYTHING anymore. Prepare for ALL the fall things to hit you in ‘da faaaace!
In 3…1, GO!
I’m obviously talking pumpkin, of course, but even more than that! Apples…hot and cozy dinners…gameday food fare…chili and soups upon soups…and soup DUNKERS.
Notice the emphasis and all caps on the word “dunkers?” That signifies great importance.—Remember that.
*cough, cough* CORNBREAD. The REAL star of chili night.
Uh, unless, of course a chili bar is on the dinner menu. Then there might be just a liiiittle competition, but nothing that a pumpkin cornbread can’t take on. 😉
Because it’s basically chili season now, but-actually-really-CORNBREAD season. Just sayin’ truth.
So you guys, it finally happened: Pumpkin finally found it’s way into my cornbread batter, and if we’re being honest here, I might have a tiiiny problem on my hands.—It might be impossible to go back to regular cornbread ever again. Like ever.
Oh.mah.GOSH! That’s just all.
What does the addition of pumpkin contribute to this cornbread? SO many pros, guys! Besides giving the cornbread a orange-y color that is beyond gorgeous, it takes everything to a whole new level of soft + moist textures, plus paired with a ton of spices, enhances flavor to the MAX.
It also replaces a ton of the usual-ridiculous amounts of oil, keeping things on the skinny side. You know, just a LITTLE bonus point. 🙂
Hint, hint: That means eat lots.
Like LOTS. With no shortage of chili on the side, because it’s obviously the season. (can I get a yaaaaay?!)
Oh, and whatever you do, don’t neglect to drizzle copious amounts of honey on top of the warm cornbread wedges.
Take caution not to drool all over it.
Just admit it. There could not possibly be a more glorious sight or a more glorious mouthful in the history of cornbread.
Pumpkin. It makes err’thing pretty perfect. ♥
Ugh. Fall, just stay foreveeeeer!
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Honey for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a 9-in pie pan (OR an 8-in square baking pan) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate large bowl, whisk pumpkin, eggs, oil, honey, yogurt, and buttermilk until smooth. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pan. Bake cornbread at 400F 25-30 minutes or until cornbread is golden-brown and a toothpick tests done. Cool cornbread 10-15 minutes on a wire cooling rack before slicing into wedges and serving warm with honey.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥
I like just a liiitle chili with my CORNBREAD…♥