This creamy vanilla ice cream is loaded with tons of juicy roasted cherries and toasty pistachios and is absolutely the best summer treat with hot fudge sauce!
I would like to introduce you to the ice cream we’ve been waiting our entire summer for, ladies and gents.
Seriously, the whole summer even though summer TECHNICALLY only just started according to the calendar.
This just feels like the right way to handle a Thursday. We don’t even have to wait til the actual weekend since we all know that ice cream is just one of those any-day-and-every-day kinda deals in the summer.
Or maybe that’s just what I tell myself to justify my ice cream consumption.
Okay, y’all. BIG NEWS going down in ice cream land today. I finally cut ties with my old-rather rusty-and-not-at-all-trusty ice cream maker and got myself the brand-new shiny Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment that everyone’s talking about these days.
Guys. Best.Investment.Ever. I may never eat anything but ice cream ever again.
This roasted cherry pistachio ice cream was the first one to christen my new ice cream maker. I celebrated my ice cream maker success by having two bowls of said ice cream shortly thereafter.
Good days are ones spent with your new favorite kind of vanilla ice cream. <<< truth.
So let’s talk about all the glorious additions to this ice cream. In order of their appearance, we have roasty-juicy-and-seriously-exploding-with-goodness cherries. I roast them before adding them to the ice cream and this brings out SO much cherry flavor!
Next comes toasted pistachios because they give this ice cream an unmatchable CRUNCH that seriously sings the most beautiful flavor songs whilst combined with cherries.
Last but not least came hot chocolate fudge sauce drizzled into every corner of your all 10 scoops. This part isn’t actually necessary, but in reality it actually probably is.
Seriously though, just look at that scoop!! It’s impossible to walk away without “accidentally” consuming like ten.
Psssssst…nobody’s counting if you were to…say, take a spoon to the actual ice cream container and go to town.
Seriously. It doesn’t count as a bowl of ice cream if the ice cream never actually makes it to the bowl.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh pitted cherries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 3/4 cup roasted pistachios, finely chopped
- Hot fudge sauce for serving, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat milk, cream, and sugar until just simmering. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Working fast, whisk 1 tablespoon hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Repeat this method a total of 4 times, whisking egg yolks constantly. Pour egg yolk mixture back into pan, whisking until smooth. Bring mixture to a low simmer until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Cool completely in refrigerator.
- Toss cherries with agave and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast cherries at 400F 15-20 minutes until softened and releasing their juices. Cool completely.
- Once ice cream base is cooled, churn ice cream in an ice cream maker according to machine's instruction manual. During last 10 minutes of churning, add roasted cherries (and any juices in pan) and chopped pistachios to ice cream. Once ice cream has finished churning, transfer to a plastic container and freeze until firm, about 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, scoop ice cream into serving bowls and drizzle with hot fudge sauce. Enjoy!