Ultimately soft and loaded with a double-whammy of chocolate, you would never guess that these irresistible double chocolate chip cookies use coconut oil and are completely BUTTER-FREE!
Oh, YES!!! The rebelliousness to January continues. That’s code for, I brought y’all more cookies!!
Healthy cookies, mind you. So it’s not toooooooo much of an act of rebellion the way I see it.
And I don’t know about you, but a cookie rebellion DEFINITELY sounds like something I want in on. As long as I get my choice of cookie and you knooooooow I’d be choosing these double chocolate chip cookies in a heartbeat.
Choosing = eating them all. Sorry/def not sorry. It’s just quality control, honest.
Okay, let’s talk about some cookie magic. Are you guys familiar with the recipe that confirmed my absolute LOVE for coconut oil cookies? I shared this recipe about 2 years ago and it’s still one of the most popular recipes on my blog. So many of you guys have told me how they are the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever ever ever. <<< I mean, facts are facts.
So since today’s double chocolate chip cookies are based off of that keeper recipe, you KNOW this is gonna be very good.
Here’s how we change it up. We reduce a little bit of the flour, load ‘er up on cocoa powder, increase the sugar a little bit to compensate for the slightly-bitter cocoa, and load the whooooole gorgeous dough up with more chocolate.
And I mean slightly-monumental amounts of chocolate. << Always a good plan and I ain’t mad.
How much are you loving/hating me right now?
Oh my goooooooosh, if you thought you loved my classic chocolate chip cookies, you have no idea what’s about to hit you in the face. These double chocolate chip cookies are so thick, soft, and chewy this couldn’t possibly be real life.
And the amount of chocolate is obviously on.freaking.point. (!!!)
This is real life though, and life with these cookies is good. ♥
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Place coconut oil and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt to mixture and beat until a dough forms. Mix in chocolate chips. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour until completely solid and chilled.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and use your hands to smush and roll the the dough into 2-in balls. Place balls 2-in apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies at 350F 10-12 minutes or until edges are set (middles will still be soft) Cool cookies 10 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Make sure you try the original cookie recipe where it all began!!