This chunky sweet potato chili is unbelievably warm and comforting and perfect for a chilly fall evening! Serve piping-hot with cornbread crumbled on top if desired.
Hi. Welcome to Chili Week.
Yes, this is SO happening here people.
Betcha’ guys didn’t know that the first week in October is also National Chili Week. I learned about this way back in August and have been preparing for this big week ever since.
As in, a new chili recipe every day for a whole week. YES!
It’s comfort food time. The most wonderful time of the yeaaaaaaaaar.. —please ignore my terrible singing—
So first up for chili week is definitely one the healthiest and quite possibly the tastiest chili’s I’ve ever had in my life.
And let me tell you: My family are total chili fanatics and when I was a kid growing up we probably had homemade chili on the table at least once or twice a week.
With big ‘ol hunks of warm cornbread (made from scratch) on the side with tons of honey and butter.
Yep. Chili night was totally my favorite night of the entire week. 😀
Getting back to this chili. — Do I have any fellow sweet potato-lovers out there? Yes? Good. You’ve just just met your newest love.
For real. Ditch your sweetheart for this chili. Do it.
K. That’s a littleeee weird. Movin’ on….
This chili isn’t super-spicy just because my family won’t stand for any heat in their chili (they’re weird) but if you’re a heat-lovin’ person like myself, then definitely feel free to throw in a chopped jalapeno or two. 😉
I’ve tried it before (when I wasn’t cooking for my fam) and it was just…wow. The spicy jalapeno went perfectly with the mellow sweet potato.
Many bowls later….Sarah was finally full. 😀
It’s chock-full of tender sweet potato chunks, lotsa’ beans, ground turkey….gahhh! Really just anything that screams EAT ME!
And “eat me” I must. Eat all the chili that is. You understand. 😉
Confession: I made this chili waaaaaay back in August when it was about 85 degrees and which is like 1-1/2 months before it’s “officially” fall and time to pull out the soup pots.
No shame, guys. No shame.
P.S. In case you missed it above, Chili Week is happening ALL this week on my blog! Be sure to come back for more comfort and happiness in a bowl. (that’s Sarah-speak for more chili)
Fall comfort food in a pot. It doesn’t get any better than this. 😀
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 large sweet peppers cored and diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can 30 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 30 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, brown ground turkey at medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Set aside.
- In a large pot, saute sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, and garlic in oil at medium-high heat until vegetables are soft and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir beans, tomatoes, sauce, cumin, chili powder, and browned turkey into sweet potato mixture. Stir over medium-high heat until chili is heated through. Season chili with salt and pepper and serve warm.