Velvety-smooth and loaded with sweet potato and apple flavors, this fall-flavored cream soup is the ultimate warm-up on a chilly day!
The soup slurping chronicles. Oh, it is ON! Let soup season begin with a bang!
I’m kinda experiencing all the feels right now for a particular kind of soup, guys. ALL THE FEELS!
It might involve sweet potatoes. It obviously involves cream and cheese.(!!) It might even involve apples (shoooocker!).
Eeep, I’m giddy just typing about such glorious things. <3
Probably due to the fact that → Sweet potatoes + apples in ultra-creamy, oh-so awesome soup form = just plain FALL.
And we all likely know how I feel about all the warm, cozy, and fall-flavored things by now…♥♥♥
Okay, so I actually first made this soup I think back around my third week of culinary school. (sidenote: halfway through this semester = whaaat?) and fell insanely in love. I mean, it’s fall PERFECTION and my entire class (including the chef instructor!) loved it.
Since a lot of y’all on Instagram wanted the recipe and I personally just wanted an excuse to make it again, I decided cream of sweet potato apple soup just needed to happen at home.
I tweaked a few minor things from the original recipe that came from my school textbook and even threw apples into the mix to compliment the sweet potatoes (surprise, surprise) and the results?
Slurp-up-every-last-precious-drop kinda awesome soup. No seriously, this soup is just really, really that good.
The sweet potatoes provide a velvety texture that I really CANNOT even get enough of, plus their mellow flavor is brought out in a BIG way by the sweet apple that’s hangin’ out in there.
My gosh, such a perfect soup couple. ♥
Because really NO soup is complete without ‘da cheese, feel free to go nuts with your favorite kind for topping your multiple bowlfuls. I like to use Asiago cheese best, since the mellow, nutty flavor is pretty much the bomb-diggity with sweet potatoes, but the sky’s the limit!
Just make sure there’s lots, ‘kay? Always.
Shall we go soup swimming? I think it’s time. I call dibs on the melty cheese rafts!
Cream of Sweet Potato Apple Soup
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium carrot minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 large baking apple peeled, cored, and diced into 1/2-in cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream warmed
- Additional minced parsley and shredded Asiago cheese for garnishing optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute onion, garlic, and carrot in olive oil until just beginning to brown. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and apples, cover, reduce heat to medium and let soup simmer until sweet potatoes and apples are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once tender, transfer soup to a high-speed blender (depending on the side of your blender, you may have to do it in batches) Puree soup on high speed until completely smooth.
- Return soup to pot and stir in thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a low simmer over medium heat, then stir in warmed cream. Keep soup warm until ready to serve.
- Ladle hot soup into serving bowls and garnish with parsley and shredded Asiago cheese if desired. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥
More soup? Let’s DO this!