Creamy, comforting smoked cheddar caramelized onion scalloped potatoes are the ultimate holiday side dish to add to your menu! Easy to make and such a huge crowd-pleaser.
I’m calling it, guys. THESE are the potatoes you want on your A-list as far as the holiday side dish game goes.
Something about dat smoked cheddar business. Maybe the combo of that with caramelized onions and ALL THE CHEESY CREAMINESS. I donno, pick your poison.
Scalloped potatoes are mine and like everyone I know’s biggest side dish weakness. So it makes perfect sense that a pan of this size would disappear within like two days right? In my household of population 1.
Crazy stuff, guys.
Okay, so step one in smoked cheddar caramelized onion scalloped potato game plan: Get those onions goin! The caramelized onions literally add soooooo much incredible flavor to these scalloped potatoes. Life-changing.
I layer the onions between thinly-sliced potatoes, a cream sauce, and ALL THE SMOKED CHEDDAR. Multiple layers of all that, guys. It’s what makes scalloped potatoes all the amazing-ness that they are.
Then a waaaaaay too long trip to the oven later…….and we come out with goodness like so. >>>
Dive in and never come out kinda goodness. I mean, who wouldn’t wanna?
These are gonna be the hit of your side dish game, friends. That’s assuming the pan actually makes it to the dinner table cause, ya know snaccidents in the kitchen just happen.
Smoked Cheddar Caramelized Onion Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1 tablespoon flour, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil until pan is shimmery. Add sliced onion to skillet and saute 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, half-and-half, flour/water mixture, garlic, thyme, and nutmeg until sauce is simmering and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 9-in cast iron skillet (OR a round baking pan or pie plate) Layer 1/3 of sliced potatoes in bottom of pan overlapping them slightly. Top with 1/3 caramelized onions, 1/3 cream mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers two more times ending with cheese on top.
- Cover pan tightly with tin foil and baked scalloped potatoes at 375F 45-50 minutes until potatoes are tender and bubbly. Remove tin foil and broil scalloped potatoes under high heat 3-5 minutes until a deep golden brown. Let potatoes stand 10 minutes before serving warm. Enjoy!