Mashed potatoes take these cheesy coconut oil biscuits OVER the top! They’re so unbelievably flaky and so amazing with tons of butter and a bowl of soup!
Coconut oil biscuits obviously do a Monday very, very right, guys.
So right in fact, I might have to make biscuits an every-weekday kinda deal. <<< don’t ask, just eat biscuits.
We’re painfully honest with each other around here, right guys? So I feel like I can tell you that in all honesty, you probably should not have any business making these biscuits if you don’t plan on demolishing the entire batch.
By yourself. Help neither needed nor wanted.
Okay, I can’t hold back any longer. I gotta tell you all the not-so-secret ingredients that make these coconut oil biscuits everything that they are.
First off we have the obvious coconut oil. I promise, you won’t even miss the butter even a little bit in these biscuits because coconut oil makes them SO rich and flaky.
Next, we have mashed potatoes doing their textural duty which is making these biscuits SO unbelievably soft and fluffy, you might swoon from the perfection.
Lastly, we have cheese. Do I need to give an explanation as to why? I didn’t think so.
Gosh, they’re so perfect, I want to cry. I make them perfect-er by slathering them to oblivion in butter.
^^^ it’s the only way, obv.
So many biscuit beauties. So much Monday done the right way.
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-in cubes
- 2-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold coconut oil, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and let potatoes simmer until very tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and cover pot to let potatoes dry 5 minutes. Mash potatoes very well and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl combine, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Work cheese and coconut oil into flour mixture with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Mix in mashed potatoes and slowly add milk, gently stirring until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times until dough comes together. Pat dough out to 1-in thickness and use a 3-in biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Place biscuits upside-down on prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2-in apart. Brush biscuit tops with butter.
- Bake biscuits at 425F 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
Can I tempt you with more biscuits? These pumpkin ones are to DIE FOR!