Balsamic vinegar, caramelized onions, and plenty of other veggies make this tender pot roast unbelievably flavorful and the ultimate easiest weeknight winter dinner!
The coziest of the comfort food is officially here.
Can you even blame me? Guys, it’s COLD outside and literally all I want to do is curl up under 55 fleece blankets with my vanilla latte and a bowl of this cozy pot roast close nearby.
Oh, wait. It’s finals week. Scratch everything about those awesome plans, except the XL latte and the XL bowl of pot roast until next week I guess…
I don’t know about you guys, but the weeks leading up to the end of the year are absolutely nuts for me, mostly because of said finals. So easy dinners do their duty HEAVY right now.
And I’m obviously very sad about that over here. 😏😏
Okay, we’re talking best-ever, coziest-ever pot roast now, guys! I don’t know about you, but when I need an easy, throw-together-WAY-ahead-of-time-and-then-forget-about dinner, I almost always turn to pot roast.
I’ve tried lots of different pot roast recipes over the course of the MANY Wisconsin winters I’ve endured, and this one is by far my fav. It’s not complicated or super-gourmet.—just your homey, basic, cozy pot roast that we all grew up eating.
This pot roast is easily one of the most deeply flavored ones I’ve ever had. I bump up the flavor into overdrive by letting the beef roast, potatoes, and carrots cook nice and slow in an ultra-flavorful balsamic sauce along with a few sprigs of fresh herbs
Pssssssst…in a pinch if you don’t have any balsamic vinegar you can use red wine instead and this pot roast will come out awesome. <<< I’ve tried it both ways and they’re both amazing.
Our job isn’t done yet! The culmination of cozy flavors is a big ‘ol onion all caramelized into perfection.
A little bit of flour goes into the juices collected in your crockpot to make everything thick and creamy, then nestle those pretty onions right into all the cozy food glory.
I’m hardly even breathing right now, FYI…😮😮😮
I’m also 100% certain as to what YOU’RE making for dinner tonight. ^^^
- 1 (2 lbs) beef chuck roast
- 1 lb russet potatoes, quartered
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 2-in cubes
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Place chuck roast, potatoes, and carrots in a 4-qt slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, broth, Dijon, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over beef roast and arrange garlic cloves, thyme, and rosemary on top.
- Cook pot roast on low 7-8 hours until beef is fall-apart tender and vegetables are tender. Remove 1 cup liquid and whisk flour into liquid. Return all to crockpot and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, caramelize onion in vegetable oil, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden brown. Spoon over pot roast and serve pot roast warm. Enjoy!
Make sure you try this Italian-style pot roast next!!