These mini lemon cupcakes are the absolute best ones out there! Tons of lemon flavor in the cupcakes and a rich cream cheese frosting on top is essential!
I’ve got an idea and it falls somewhere along the lines of best-ever mini lemon cupcakes for breakfast?
And obviously since they’re mini, you KNOW a lot of them are required right? Oh, yes. The perks of mini food…
Also, the perks of Friday who doesn’t judge us on our consumption of millions of mini lemon cupcakes morning, noon, and night.
Aren’t they cute? They just scream eat me. Which I’m not gonna have a problem doing, believe me…
Sidenote: Completely ridiculous that May is nearly upon us. Only THREE weeks left of school for me and then it’s basically summer. <<< which means summer eats are well on their way.
Yeah, you’d better get excited.
For now though…mini lemon cupcakes because they’re literally right here and they are freaking adorable.
Not only that but mini cupcakes are seriously SUCH a breeze to throw together! The batter is quick and they bake up in half the time of regular cupcakes. And then when it comes to piping the frosting it’s just a quick squirt and you’re done!
Done in the sense of work. Because in the sense of cupcake-eating we’re only just getting started. And believe me, you ARE warranted to eat many of these.
They’re just so tiny and you gotta.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 2 large eggs
- Juice and zest from 2 medium lemons
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Grated lemon zest for garnishing, optional
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F. Line a three 12-cup mini muffin tins with muffin wrappers and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until completely smooth. Beat in agave, eggs, lemon juice and zest, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, gently stirring until batter is just combined.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full of batter. Bake cupcakes at 350F 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick tests done. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until completely smooth. Add butter and beat until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until creamy. Add half-and-half, vanilla, and lemon zest, beating until thick and creamy.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with lemon zest if desired. Enjoy!