Perfectly thin and crispy gingersnap cookies are a Christmas essential and these easy gems will quickly become a cookie jar favorite!
Cookie jar staple coming in hot!! Everyone needs a classic gingersnap recipe up their sleeves.
No, I’m not talking about soft and chewy molasses cookies. We’re all about the thin + crispy crackle-top cookies today that have that signature ‘snap’ when you bite into it.
Bite into them, rather. Because you will be eating PLENTY of these.
It probably goes without saying but these cookies alongside your afternoon cup of coffee? Nothing beats it.
These Gingersnaps feature…
- The perfect amount of spiced ginger flavor
- Crispy, crackly tops
- Minutes to make and no dough chilling required
Making the Gingersnaps
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
Tips for Perfect Gingersnaps
- Use fresh ginger and ground ginger – the combination of both fresh and ground ginger adds a punchy ginger flavor to these cookies.
- Melt butter – this will help contribute to the crispy texture of the gingersnaps.
- Roll dough balls in sugar – this gives these cookies that signature sparkly top.
- Overbake cookies – in order to get that thin and crispy texture we recommend baking cookies 12-15 minutes until the tops of cookies are crackled.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these gingersnaps.
- Drizzle cookies with white chocolate – melt white chocolate and drizzle over cooled cookies.
- Roll cookies in cinnamon sugar – for an extra spiced kick, roll cookies in cinnamon sugar instead of granulated.
Storing and Freezing Cookies
Allow cookies to cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 6 days.
To freeze cookies, allow to cool completely, then wrap well and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw cookies completely at room temperature and store up to 6 days.
There’s no way around it, you’re going to absolutely fall in love with these killer gingersnap cookies! The light and crispy texture paired with the punch of intense gingery flavor is EVERYTHING in these!
Ultimate milk or coffee dunker, just saying.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More keeper Christmas cookies to try next!
- Coconut Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookies
- Butter Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Molasses Crinkle Cookies
Crispy Gingersnap Cookies
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter with 3/4 cup sugar, molasses, egg, ginger, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Fold flour mixture into liquid until dough is just combined (dough will be slightly sticky)
- Scoop dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared sheet pans. Bake cookies at 350F 12-15 minutes until cookies are crackled on top and golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheet pans 10 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 11/30/23.