For all you gingerbread lovers out there, boy do I have a treat for you today! And yep, there’s chocolate in there too, to satisfy all you chocoholics. Because everyone needs a little chocolate in their breakfast, right?
Health food at it’s finest 😉
I may or may not have had these pancakes for breakfast AND lunch. And I’ll just say that it was an amazing experience 😀
Never had a gingerbread and chocolate ‘combo? I recently discovered how wonderfully they go together and I’m currently working on some more dee-lish chocolate and gingerbread treats. Stay tuned.
These pancakes are soooo moist, fluffy, and loaded with tons of ginger-y molasses flavors.
Have you have seen my other pancake recipes? I experimented multiple times, playing around with ingredients and methods until I found the solution for perfect pancakes—since then I’ve never used another pancake recipe—I base all my pancake variations of the original (go check it out for a full explanation of what makes these pancakes so good) then I play around with different add-ins.
Let’s talk about the chocolate syrup for a sec here. Nope, it’s not that store-bought junk filled with corn syrup, preservatives, and other yucky ingredients. This homemade chocolate syrup calls for a few simple ingredients, and is ready in literally 5 minutes. I made up the recipe myself. The verdict? I would eat it with a spoon.
And I did.
See this chocolate-y goodness? It’s called heaven.
Top a tall stack of these perfect gingerbread pancakes with a generous drizzle of your homemade chocolate syrup. Add some butter. And prepare to fall into pure bliss ♥ ♥ ♥
Gingerbread Pancakes With Chocolate Syrup
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk -no substitutes-
- CHOCOLATE SYRUP:
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops liquid stevia
- pinch salt
- Prepare the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg until combined. In a medium bowl, whisk egg, oil, molasses, and buttermilk until smooth. Add liquid ingredients to dry, gently stirring until just combined.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to 300F. Lightly grease. Drop pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle, Cook on first side 2 minutes. Flip and cook on opposite side 1-1/2 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove pancakes to a serving plate.
- Make the chocolate syrup: In a small saucepan, whisk oil, honey, cocoa, and cornstarch until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, stevia, and salt.
- Serve pancakes with chocolate syrup.
Store pancakes in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Love pancakes as much as I do? I know you’ll love these other recipes!
***By the way, go enter my giveaway to win a cookbook by Cooks Illustrated called, The Science of Good Cooking—There’s a very good chance you will win!***