Enjoy classic banana bread in the form of a fun streusel-covered snack cake! This cake is unbelievably soft, moist and covered every inch with a crunchy walnut streusel.
I am the hugest sucker for banana bread. I buy bananas primarily for the reason of letting them get overripe just so I can make banana bread.
My family hates the fact that I’m constantly using up all the bananas for baking, but it’s funny because they never complain about the goodies I make with ’em. Go ‘figger.
Oh, yeah and I’m also addicted to streusel. Isn’t everybody? Crunchy, nutty HEAVEN, guys.
Yep, I am so that person who picks all the streusel off her cake and eats it just like that. Cause let’s face it: The streusel is always the best part of any snack cake or coffee cake. No doubt.
This cake is SO soft and moist and literally covered every inch with a crunchy walnut streusel. Pecans are a good substitute, but I personally enjoy the walnuts best.
I hope you guys like your streusel because this cake has a TON of it.
No snack cake is complete without it. 😀
You know what’s so great about snack cake? It tastes like regular cake, but it has the word “snack” in it so that gives you the perfect excuse to eat cake for a snack. Whoever thought up the idea to add the word “snack” to cake deserves a medal.
Um yeah, I think I can definitely get on board with that. 😉
The texture of this cake reminds me of coffee cake, so ‘heck you could even serve it for breakfast! I won’t judge.
Pssssst…you could even sneak some chocolate chips into the batter if you can’t live without chocolate in your cake. I’m one of those people myself. 😉
This cake is also the puuuurfect way to use up overripe bananas, since the batter calls for 3 whole bananas. Those 3 bananas contribute a TON of moistness to this cake AND pack in a ton of banana flavor!
Don’t you just hate those so-called banana breads that hardly have any banana flavor? If I’m gonna go to the trouble to make banana bread it’s got to have a lot of banana flavor in it, otherwise it’s so not worth the calories.
There’s definitely no lack of bananas in this cake. Each and every bite screams BANANAS.
Your family is going to go “bananas” for this cake. And you’re definitely gonna want to grab two pieces. 😉
Banana Bread Streusel Snack Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar
- 3 small ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and xylitol (or sugar) until combined. Beat in mashed banana, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour until a batter forms (batter will be quite thick) Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and set aside for a minute while you prepare the streusel.
- For the streusel, combine all streusel ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake snack cake at 350F 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Cool cake completely on a wire cooling rack before cutting into squares.
Looking for more snacky recipes? Try these similar ones!