Tender and buttery oat-packed biscuits are filled with tons of zingy lemon whipped cream and piled high with beautiful fresh blueberries for a simple, yet stunning summer dessert.
Su-mmer, suuuuummer! Happy Memorial Day, you guys and an even MORE happy unofficial-first-day-of SUMMER.
I’m calling it. Summer starts NOW and and either you jump on the summer bandwagon or you miss out on blueberry shortcakes.
How’s your holiday weekend going, guys? Mine has mostly just consisted of two things: Food and laziness.
Actually, that might have been the case this entire past week. It was my first official week off from school and I’m not gonna lie, I might actually be excited to start my summer job next week because that means I get to actually leave the house.
I swear I’m like a little kid and I need to keep busy, otherwise I can and will lose my mind.
Now, then. Can we talk about blueberry shortcakes from now to the end of time? Cool, thanks.
So guys, I’m kinda contradicting everything we talked about last week regarding shortcakes. If I’m not mistaken, I told you I was totally lazy (do you notice a trend??) and prefer my shortcake in one big ‘ol cake form.
Until today…when blueberries step into the picture. With a lovely lemon whipped cream. And an ultimately-flaky oat biscuit.
Yep, the shortcake game is completely changed. The classics NEVER go outta style, guys.
So whaddya say? I’m thinking if there was ever a last-minute dessert you need to get through the rest of the holiday weekend, THESE shortcakes are most definitely your guys.
Oatmeal Blueberry Shortcakes with Lemon Whipped Cream
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Pour milk over mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times until dough comes together. Roll dough out to 1-in thickness and cut out biscuits using a 3-in biscuit cutter. Place biscuits 1-in apart upside-down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits at 425F 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in syrup and lemon zest.
- Assemble the shortcakes: Halve each biscuit and fill with whipped cream and fresh blueberries. Serve shortcakes immediately after assembling. Enjoy!
Make sure you try classic strawberry shortcake in CAKE form next!