Tender roasted acorn squash boats are stuffed with a flavorful wild rice and sausage filling for a stunner fall side dish that goes great with roast chicken or turkey.
See that acorn squash boat up there, y’all? It’s basically covering all our fall bases today. Just in case you were under the impression that I was slacking on the savory portion of fall and only into pumpkins and apples…here’s your proof.
Your very delicious proof that if I were you, I would just take and RUN. Ask questions later.
By the way…guys, October is way past half over and how is this even happening?? Before too long it’s gonna be time to start thinking about snow, Thanksgiving, the prospect of more snow….which by the way, is a very dim memory for me right now since I’m currently still melting in the 85 degree Texas weather.
I’m honestly okay with forgetting what that white stuff looks like. I’ve seen my fair share.
But speaking of Thanksgiving though…I knooooow it’s like forever away, but these acorn squash boats are kinda making me think about it right now. By think about it, of course I mean stress about it. That’s me.
Honestly though, let’s talk about these boats! They’re so freaking fun and filled with fall and all of the above.
We start by cracking a big ‘ol acorn squash open, scraping out all the seeds and squash guts, then we’re gonna rub it down with some olive oil, salt, and pepper and throw that bad boy in the oven to get all roasty and toasty.
Meanwhile…let’s focus on that filling. Tender wild rice + caramelized onions and garlic + sliced sausage + dried cranberries + pecans. We’ve got FALL in the house now, guys.
I pile my roasted squash boats as full as they literally can go, guys. Jam it all up in there.
Also…no need for plates if it’s just you at the dinner table tonight. You just gotta love those dinners that come in their own edible bowl, right??
No judgement for just eating with your face either, guys. It happens to the best of us.
Wild Rice Sausage + Cranberry Acorn Squash Boats
- 1 medium acorn squash cut in half and seeds scraped out
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 2 chicken sausages thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F. Rub inside of acorn squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast squash at 400F 30-35 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan and saute, 5 minutes until lightly browned. Stir wild rice, sausage, cranberries, pecans, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste into skillet.
- Spoon rice filling into squash boats and bake boats at 400F 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Make sure you try this Honey-Glazed Roasted Butternut Squash + Cranberries next!!