Made completely in the crockpot and perfectly smooth and creamy, this crockpot butternut squash soup is easy to prepare and a soup favorite!
There’s nothing better than a big comforting bowl of butternut squash soup once the weather starts turning chilly! Bonus points if your crockpot takes care of it for you.
And that’s exactly what we’re doing today! This butternut squash soup literally takes about 10 minutes of prep time and then its off to the crockpot for the rest of the day.
We’re keeping things super simple in the ingredients department today with only 9 basic ingredients, but holy cow the amount of flavors in this soup is unbelievable.
And the obligatory toasty croutons + extra cream swirls on top just seal this perfect little soup deal.
This Butternut Squash Soup features…
- A creamy, velvety texture from the butternut squash
- Lots of fresh garlic and thyme
- 10 minute prep time and made entirely in the crockpot
Making the Butternut Squash Soup
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Butternut squash
- Yellow onion
- Bay leaf
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
Don’t have a slow cooker? You can still make this soup on your stovetop!
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Add butternut squash, garlic, bay leaf, nutmeg, and chicken broth to pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and allow to simmer 20-25 minutes until butternut squash is very tender.
- Puree soup and fold in heavy cream and thyme per recipe instructions and serve.
Tips for Perfect Butternut Squash Soup
- Cut butternut squash into uniform cubes – 1-inch cubes is what we’re going for. Try to cut them as uniformly as possible so they cook at the same rate.
- Cook garlic whole – this adds a lot of mellow sweet garlic flavor once its cooked, mashed into a paste, and added back to soup.
- Puree soup in blender or with immersion blender – either tool will work great, just make sure to blend soup in batches to prevent overflow if you decide to go the blender route.
- Add cream and garlic and continue cooking – once the soup is blended and the cream and thyme are added, return the soup to the crockpot to cook on high for an additional 45 minutes to allow the flavors to develop a little more.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this soup.
- Make it vegetarian – simply swap out vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Try a different squash – delicata, acorn squash, or even sweet potatoes would work in place of the butternut.
- Add cheese – once the soup is finished cooking, fold in about 1 cup shredded cheddar for a cheesy soup.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
This soup can be stored in refrigerator up to 6 days. Reheat soup either on the stovetop or in the microwave until soup reaches 165F.
To freeze soup, allow to cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container, leaving 1 inch of open air on top. Freeze soup up to 2 months and reheat either on stovetop or microwave.
The creamy, velvety texture of this soup is just off the charts! The butternut squash adds a slight sweetness and there’s so much incredible flavor from the roasted garlic and fresh thyme.
Best paired with a big slice of your favorite bread or some toasty croutons on top and a chilly fall night!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More soups that you need in your life!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1-in cubes (about 6-7 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 6 whole unpeeled cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 4-qt crockpot, combine squash, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and nutmeg. Pour chicken broth over top. Cover crockpot and cook on low heat 5-6 hours or on high heat 3-4 hours until squash is very tender.
- Remove bay leaf and garlic. Discard bay leaf and peel skin from garlic. Finely mash garlic into a paste and return to soup.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a high-speed blender until completely smooth OR use an immersion blender. Return soup to crockpot and stir in heavy cream and fresh thyme. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste
- Cover crockpot and cook soup an additional 45-60 minutes on high heat. Serve soup warm and enjoy!
For a step-by-step guide to making this recipe, check out the video!
This post was updated with new photos and recipe tips on 5/18/23.