Flavorful caramelized onions and lots of tender broccoli come together in this one-pot cheesy rice skillet that’s SUPER easy to throw together and even your pickiest eaters will love it!
Cozy + easy + did-I-mention-COZY dinners are here to stay awhile, guys.
And just for kicks and just because it’s only Tuesday…we’ll throw the two little words “one-pot” in there too.
You like how I just basically made us the easiest-peasiest dinner in the universe? I love it when I don’t actually have to put in any effort in the food department on a Tuesday.
And guess what?? No extra dishes is a big part of that no-effort deal. No extra dishes = more time for cheesy rice face-shoving.
So many dinner bonuses going down for reals today, guys. Let’s talk about the minuscule amount of work you’re actually going to have to do to go to cheesy rice heaven. <<< spoiler alert: this list is rather short.
Caramelize up some onion and garlic in olive oil, then throw the rice in the pot.
Let the whole ‘thang simmer with chicken broth for a nice little spell.
In goes the half-and-half to make it creamy and a bunch of broccoli to give us our beloved green. Yaaaaas..
Once the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy…tons of cheese finds its way on top followed by a rather hefty sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
To the broiler with it all…
Then to your belly with the whole gorgeous skillet.
It’s gonna happen sooner or later and trust me, you definitely prefer SOONER.
Seriously though…this is purely the kinda comfort food your whole week has been waiting for.
Dinner of cheesy rice early tonight? I think so too.
One-Pot Caramelized Onion Broccoli Cheesy Rice
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- In a large saucepan over medium heat caramelize onion and garlic in oil, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep golden brown. Stir rice into skillet and let cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth to skillet and cover. Bring rice to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer 20-25 minutes until rice is almost tender.
- Stir cream and broccoli into rice and let cook an additional 10 minutes until rice and broccoli is tender. Season rice with salt and pepper to taste. Top rice with cheese and breadcrumbs then broil under high heat until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are golden. Enjoy!