Flavorful caramelized onions, mushrooms, and balsamic are the star flavors in this SUPER-creamy risotto that comes together easily in one pan in less than 30 minutes!
Shattering all your expectations of risotto today, y’all. With big and better things such as caramelized onions and mooooooore.
Don’t try to contain your excitement, please. Just don’t.
Guys, it’s probably becoming quite evident around here that me + risotto will never ever run out of new ideas. While I’d reaaaaaaally love to spam you with my countless risotto recipes all at once…
…wait. Bad idea or nah?
Now if I could direct your full attention over to this caramelized onion mushroom balsamic risotto for a quick sec…we have things we must discuss.
Also things we obviously must eat but that’s a little down the road.
So first things first, we gotta make our caramelized onions. Low and slow she goes and then mushrooms join the party. Throw it all aside and now it’s risotto time!
Just your standard risotto method with adding the hot chicken broth a little bit at a time until the rice is cooked and creamy. Throw the onions back in the pot and man….dinner anticipation much??
Very much so is the right answer.
Dinner starting early tonight? Well that’s a yes. ♥♥
Caramelized Onion Mushroom Balsamic Risotto
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups hot chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter, stirring occasionally 15-20 minutes until onions are caramelized and tender. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms to skillet, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender. Transfer onion-mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute garlic in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until fragrant. Add rice to skillet and stir 1 minute. Add vinegar, then reduce heat to medium and begin adding hot chicken broth to rice, a little bit at a time, waiting until liquid is evaporated before adding more broth. Continue adding broth in small amounts 10-15 minutes until rice is tender and creamy. Stir in half-and-half, onion/mushroom mixture, and season risotto with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve risotto warm and enjoy!