Orange chicken just like you get at Panda Express with the flavorful addition of herbed orzo. It’s SUPER-easy to throw together in one pan and so much lighter on the calories!
My Thursday and possibly all the rest of the days are henceforth consisting of this skillet orange chicken, y’all.
I’m down for every single part about that plan, you?
Plus I kinda tied carbs in rather nicely with all that orange chicken goodness you see up there.
Sneaky but also a necessary-kinda sneaky. You get me.
So today’s skillet orange chicken is kinda sorta a play on the awesome stuff you get at Panda Express only waaaaay nicer on the calories and your wallet. Chinese food is kinda mine and Jason’s go-to dinner date and he mentioned to me awhile back that I should totally try making some of it at home for us. << the boy knows me too well.
So far I’ve tried cashew chicken, Jason’s made beef and broccoli, and now orange chicken can be added to that list.
And we might as well just throw it on the dinner menu every night from here to eternity, guys. Along with not your regular run-of-the-mill white rice but herbed orzo which I’ve decided I like slightly more.
Also, a quick word about the sauce for this orange chicken.—it’s ridiculous. It’s so orange-y and flavorful and I want it on top of all the things at every moment of the rest of my life.
^^ I’m working on making that happen.
You? You should probably be working on letting this orange chicken work it’s way into your dinner life tonight x1000 other nights.
Skillet Orange Chicken with Herbed Orzo
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 lb hot orzo cooked according to package instructions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the chicken: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the chicken, onions, and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In same skillet, whisk together orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger. Separately whisk vinegar and cornstarch. Bring orange mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, then quickly whisk in cornstarch mixture until smooth. Stir sauce occasionally until thickened.
- Add chicken back to skillet and toss to coat. Keep chicken warm.
- Make the orzo: In a small saucepan, melt butter then saute garlic until fragrant. Remove from heat and stir in herbs. Pour butter mixture over hot orzo and toss to coat. Season orzo with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm with orange chicken. Enjoy!
aimee @ like mother like daughter says
Mmm! I love orange chicken! I love that your version isn’t breaded so its much better for me. Can’t wait to try this!
Kathy Mader says
This looks brilliantly delicious. Thank you!
Rachel @ Bakerita says
Majorly craving this right now!! The orzo looks amazingly delicious, and it’s hard to go wrong with orange chicken 🙂 swoon!
Anne Kepner says
On my birthday, my brother make duck with orange for me and I like it. Now I read your post about chicken orange. I will try to make it tomorrow. Thanks for your recipe.
Have a nice weekend!
Love orange chicken and this looks wonderful! Like that you paired it with orzo! Pinning to try it!