Sweet ‘n’ spiced gingerbread french toast is smothered with a sweet, gooey walnut caramel sauce for the ultimate holiday twist on french toast!
Hey, look at that! We can have our gingerbread and french toast all wrapped into the dreamiest breakfast ever.
I feel like that doesn’t even justly describe this festive breakfast wonder. I haven’t even mentioned the walnut caramel sauce yet…???
Can we all take a moment to just appreciate those times when dessert and breakfast collide into a legit breakfast-worthy thing? The best of times, y’all.
And this gingerbread french toast is certainly cause for a good time. Can I confess that this was even my dinner one night last week? I have no shame. ??
Alright, easy breakfast lovers, listen up! This gingerbread french toast is your new lover because it’s honestly just about the laziest deal ever. The french toast itself takes MINUTES to prep and cook and from there it’s just the sauce.
Which by the way, do not even THINK about skipping. It’s what makes this killer breakfast, well, killer. And honestly, the ratio of walnut caramel sauce to french toast is spot on. Like 50/50 which is how things should always roll with my favorite sauce in the universe.
This is total messy breakfast food, but that’s A-OK, y’all. Messy food is almost always gonna taste the best and nobody’s gonna notice that caramel all over your face.
Worth it? Heeeeeeeck yes. ??
Gingerbread French Toast with Walnut Caramel Sauce
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices stale french bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
Walnut Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- Make the french toast: In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, molasses, and spices until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high then add butter until melted and hot. Working in batches, dip french bread slices in egg mixture and place in hot skillet. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, flipping once. Keep french toast warm.
- Make the walnut caramel sauce: In a small pan over medium-high heat, bring butter, sugar, agave, and water to a low simmer. Cook caramel until a dark golden brown. Remove from heat and whisk in cream and salt. Stir in walnuts and serve caramel sauce warm over french toast. Enjoy!
Bring on the gingerbread goodness — it’s what holidays are all about for me! It’s so smart making gingerbread flavored french toast and that caramel sauce looks so good it’s beyond words. I love everything about this!
Richard@Pool Sunday says
Thank you for sharing!!!. I will try it for my Son
Jacub Andriu says
Wow! this *Gingerbread French Toast with Walnut Caramel Sauce* amazing information. I will definitely taste this. Because i am a foody and I like to taste some new recipes. I want to get some more info about walnut benefits.