Hasselback baked potatoes are filled with tons of caramelized onions and topped off with Swiss cheese for one knock-out easy dinner side!
The obsession I possess with french onion soup has reached a new high today, guys. Observe our new ‘tater love, up there. ^^^
And it’s necessary that you get excited.
Are they an app? Are they a dinner? They’re literally anything you want them to be. They’re just so good.
And the fact that caramelized onions are literally shoved into every crack of these hasselback baked potatoes.
No biggie. No reason to freak the heck out.
….except we definitely should. For every single one of those reasons I just mentioned.
First things first: bake up those potatoes! Thinly slice a few big ‘ol russets about 3/4 the way into little slices hasselback-style and then throw ’em in the oven.
While that business goes down, it’s time to go to caramelized onion town!! Slice up a few sweet onions and let ’em caramelize low ‘n’ slow for awhile.
Assembling these hasselback beauties is honestly the easiest part.
You could even prep the two above components ahead of time and just wait to assemble whenever you desire.
Just fill up the potatoes with the onions, top the whole thing with Swiss cheese/chopped parsley and throw it under the broiler!
Whether you make these hasselback potatoes for a Superbowl party, a New Years Eve app, or just a regular old weeknight dinner they will DEFINITELY impress!
And you just might make a meal out of them. It’s definitely happened here before.
Best of all worlds jammed into a humble little potato, you guys! Doesn’t get much better.
Hasselback French Onion Soup Baked Potatoes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Use a sharp knife to cut potatoes into thin slices 3/4 of the way down the potatoes into a hasselback shape. Place potatoes in baking pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast potatoes at 400F 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions to pan and saute, stirring occasionally until onions are a deep brown caramelized color, about 15-20 minutes. Add garlic, red wine, beef broth, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook onions 3-4 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove onions from heat and use a spoon to fill the insides of the hasselback potatoes with caramelized onions. Sprinkle swiss cheese over top.
- Bake hasselback potatoes at 400F an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!