Speckled with gorgeous poppyseeds and packed with intense lemon flavor, these glazed lemon poppyseed drop scones are a SUPER easy breakfast indulgence and totally stunning!
I’ve officially broke into the lemon stuff, guys. Fashionably late since lemon season is TECHNICALLY in the winter time. Can you blame me? Spring in Wisconsin is about as far away as it could get (like not even CLOSE) but I don’t care, because lemon season starts now.
And I just really wanted an excuse to make lemon poppyseed drop scones obviously.
Ahhhhh yess. I spy spring on the horizon and it dwells solely in these glazed-to-within-an-inch-of-their-lives drop scones. And a brutal, ever-persisting Wisconsin winter ain’t about to stop me now.
These are like really, really freaking good, guys. Like, if lemon poppyseed all the things is your jam then you’re in the right place today.
So I can barely even wrap my ahead around how much freaking EASIER drop scones are than your regular shaped scones. Of which we have a ton of around here btw. Check out the prep timeline for these beauties! >>>
- Scone dough. It’s SO quick and made entirely in one bowl. We’re following my standard scone base recipe and then piling in a ton of lemon juice/zest and poppyseeds.
- Drop the dough by 1/4-ish cupfuls onto a few baking sheets, then bake ’em at a high temp of 425F so they develop that crisp, golden scone exterior and that unmistakable soft and flaky inside. ^^^ all the heart eyes. ??
- Dollop a spoonful or 10 of a simple powdered sugar glaze over ’em. And contemplate the repercussions of engaging in an immediate scone binge session. ??
These beauties are just so imperfectly gorgeous, friends. Insanely flaky inside and PACKED with intense lemon flavors. Speckled all over with pretty poppyseeds. Covered in puddles of glaze because it’s completely necessary in scone world.
Brb, I’m making these until ALL the snow disappears…and alright, more than likely many times afterwards. ♥
Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Drop Scones
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream, lemon juice, zest, egg, half-and-half, and vanilla until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients, add poppyseeds and gently stir until a dough forms.
- Scoop dough by 1/4 cupfuls and place 2-in apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake scones at 425F 12-15 minutes until golden-brown. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk all glaze ingredients until a smooth drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones and let stand 5 minutes to set. Enjoy!