Coconut oil transforms these soft-baked coconut oil chocolate chip cookie bars into seriously the SOFTEST and most addicting cookie texture ever. You’ll never make any other cookie again.
First and foremost, I must say the following about these coconut oil chocolate chip cookie bars, you guys. —> cookie hypnosis may actually be a thing. Either that or these cookie bars are just about the craziest-good thing you’ll ever invite into your cookie life.
Pssssssst…..if you’re super-duper smart, you’ll invite ’em to stay forever.
Seriously. What kind of cookie wizardry even is this…..it’s basically insane that a cookie bar could be this soft + chewy + loaded with gooey chocolate. But here they are. Both thumbs waaaaaaay up for cookie wizardry!! ??
Leave it to coconut oil to come in the clutch. Doesn’t it always though???
Okay, first things first. Surely you’re familiar with this recipe that started it all right? The killer-est coconut oil chocolate chip cookies you will ever have in your life. Period. I made a few minor tweaks to that recipe to get it in cookie bars-form and I may actually love this brand-spankin’-new version even better than the original. (gasp)
- Dough. So freaking simple and it’s all made in one bowl, Softened coconut oil, sugar, an egg, a little cream, a whooooole lotta vanilla extract, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and CHOCOLATE.
- Press everything in a square baking pan and send it to the fridge for about 30 min to firm up.
- Then it’s oven time. And because these are SOFT-BAKED cookie bars, we’re gonna underbake ’em so they maintain that incredibly-soft and chewy center.
And mercy, do they. ??? If you can bear to let them cool a bit, do it because these cookie bars slice like a dream once they’ve sat for a little while. Yet, they taste SO freaking amazing warm whilst the chocolate is gooey. You may literally swoon and that’s A-OKAY.
Don’t even bother telling yourself that you’re only gonna have one of these soft-baked coconut oil chocolate chip cookie bars because it AIN’T HAPPENING. In fact, I would highly recommend you have a crowd of peeps around you when you make these, because…..well, things tend to get out of hand.
No personal experience needed to know this but hey, you probably already know. ????
Soft-Baked Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened but not melted)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Line an 8x8 square baking pan with tin foil and lightly grease. Set aside. Place softened coconut oil and sugar in a stand mixer OR in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer. Beat on medium speed about 2 minutes or until evenly creamed. Mix in egg, cream, and vanilla until creamy.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to liquid, and beat on medium speed until a dough forms (dough will be very thick) Mix in chocolate chips.
Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes until dough is firm.
Bake cookie bars at 350F 18-20 minutes or until edges are just golden (middle will still be slightly soft-this is ok) Cool cookie bars on a wire cooling rack completely. Once cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!