This lighter twist on chicken stroganoff is going to quickly become a permanent dinner go-to! It’s creamy, rich, lighter on the calories, and made entirely in one pot.
It is COZY FOOD SEASON, y’all!! Aka, eat all the cheese, pasta, bread, soup, and did I mention all the CARBS season.
A mouthful, yes. But I have no doubt that we’ve got this season in the bag. (I feel like I’m making a football reference, wth)
To prove my point, you should probably be aware of the fact that I made us all a LIGHTER, made-entirely-in-one-pot chicken stroganoff and it is freaking fantastic and fitting the cozy food bill.
You may be concerned about the lack of beef in whats normally a beef stroganoff, but roll wit me on this. Why do something classic when you can trash it up and make it COOL.
Okaaaaay, I get that chicken hardly constitutes trashing something up. All I did was make this chicken stroganoff really really easy and SO much better on the calorie front. >>>
Literally all we got going on is like two steps and it’s pretty straight forward. Saute your chicken, onion, garlic, etc and then throw literally nearly everything else in the pan (including da noodles!) Bring it all to a simmer then reduce until the noodles are cooked and the liquid is reduced into a gorgeous creamy sauce.
Then make it EXTRA creamy by stirring in just a little bit of cream cheese and the iconic mushrooms. Some classic stroganoff steps you just don’t wanna skip! Worth it.
Ahhh yess. Approximately 16 bowls of that XX creamy ‘n’ cozy stroganoff is exactly what we all deserve after all that non-existent work.
Dinner allllllll week is an honest possibility.
One-Pot Lighter Chicken Stroganoff
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin 2-in strips
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 12 oz uncooked egg noodles
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute chicken strips, onion, and garlic in olive oil until chicken is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth then slowly stir in chicken broth, milk, and half-and-half. Add egg noodles to skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer covered until thickened and creamy and noodles are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir mushrooms, cream cheese, and parsley into noodles and gently cook over low heat until cream cheese is melted and mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Kirstin E Matthews says
What is the nutritional information on this?
Kirstin E Matthews says
What is the nutritional information on this recipe?
I do not have the nutritional info calculated for this recipe, however, you can use this website to easily find out.
Brittany Audra @ Audra's Appetite says
Why has nobody ever thought of a chicken stroganoff before?! Brilliant idea; yum! 🙂
Andy Bishop says
Made this using your recipe. The fam loved it! Thanks for sharing!