You’ll never go back to Mongolian beef when you try this INCREDIBLY easy instant pot Mongolian chicken and peppers! Ready in 25 minutes with only a handful of ingredients.
Mongolian copycat recipes the SEQUEL!!
Not to bash the original or anything, but I’m pretty excited about this thing of dinner beauty.
Hello. We’ve got that whole instant pot/30 minute deal comin’ in HOT!
And a super-duper big mountain of sweet, saucy Mongolian chicken and peppers sitting on top of a mountain of rice. Multiple mountains is how dinner should always roll, guys.
I’m not even kidding you with the dinner easy today, y’all. Literally THREE steps stand between you and this Mongolian chicken. (not counting rice cooking, but that’s easy stuff)
- Saute your chicken, onion, and garlic using the SAUTE function on the instant pot. Basic start to any killer stir-fry.
- We’re going to pressure cook this chicken in its own sauce and believe me when I say it is MASSIVELY good. Whisk soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch together and throw it in the pot. <<< this is my go-to stir-fry sauce recipe and it’s never once let me down.
- Cook the chicken on high pressure for about 12 minutes, then let it release pressure naturally. Throw in a big mess of sliced sweet peppers, pressure on for another 5 minutes.
BOOM! Throw some green onions in the pot, season ‘er up however much you like, and I promise this was ready before your takeout even hit the delivery guys hands.
Have TONS of fluffy hot rice on hand for this chicken because this has literally the most luscious sauce EVER and you’re gonna want tons to soak up all that goodness.
Also, traditional Mongolian beef may have just been temporarily fired from my life. You see why.
Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 large sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot rice for serving
- Heat oil in an instant pot set on SAUTE mode. Once hot, add chicken, onions, and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally until chicken is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, cornstarch mixture, sugar, and vinegar to instant pot and fasten lid on. Cook on high pressure 10 minutes, then let release pressure 5 minutes. Add sliced sweet pepper to instant pot then cook on high pressure an additional 5 minutes and let release pressure 5 minutes.
- Stir green onions into chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve Mongolian chicken over hot rice and enjoy!
I love using my IP — it’s makes everything so fast and makes the meat so tender! I prefer eating chicken than beef most of the time so I see this meal happening soon…it looks delicious!
Andy Bishop says
Great recipe. Now, I need to buy an instant pot!
Melanie Jo Siebert says
Simple, tasty dinner, thank you!!
Robin Block says
The time that you show isn’t right. There is additional time coming up to pressure and releasing pressure. Twice! You need a lot more than 25 minutes!
I have added that additional time to the recipe, Robin. I apologize for the miscommunication.