Cozy chai spices and warm salted caramel take these pumpkin lava cakes completely over the top! Serve them warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and welcome to fall heaven.
Or at least I imagine a fall-themed heaven looks exactly like this. Just big ‘ol pumpkin lava cakes everywhere exploding with caramel and covered in gallons of ice cream.
Also, I don’t know about you but I want an actual real life exactly like that. Seriously.
And in other news, WELCOME TO PUMPKIN SEASON. I know I’m unfashionably later than usual to the game this year, but I’m coming in strong with ice cream, cakes, chai, and caramel lava. In really freakin good ways.
Cake has a way of being forgiven for tardiness. There’s no doubt about that.
So here we’ve got the following: Incredibly melt-in-your-mouth SOFT pumpkin cakes √ Gooey salted caramel filling aka lava gold √ TONS of chai spices in the actual pumpkin cake √ Over-the-top huge scoops of vanilla ice cream crowning this fall beauty queen.
It looks hard to make but it is DEFINITELY one of those deceivingly simple things. Heck, if you wanted to save even more time you could just use pre-made caramel candies for the filling (if you’re going that route, I’d recommend 3 candies)
Also, I would recommend digging into this warm from the oven and watching the caramel explode from the center. And ice cream running everywhere, omggggggg.
I’m on Team NO as far as sharing goes here. That’s the thing about lava cakes, they are PERSONAL sized which means your cake is your cake alone. Thank goodness for cake rules like that.
And thank goodness for pumpkin season and all the freaking GOALWORTHY things that come with it. >>>
Salted Caramel Chai Pumpkin Lava Cakes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pumpkin Lava Cakes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream for serving, optional
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter then whisk in sugar, and honey. Bring sauce to a simmer and stir occasionally until thickened and golden. Reduce heat to medium and add cream and salt and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove caramel from heat and pour into a parchment-paper lined square baking pan. Chill 10 minutes until solid, then chop into 6 even squares. Set aside.
Pumpkin Lava Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease and flour 4 (4 oz) ramekins. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, sugar, oil, egg, milk, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined.
- Fill prepared ramekins halfway with batter then place 2 squares caramel in each. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake lava cakes at 350F 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool 5 minutes, then run a knife around cakes and invert onto serving plates. Serve lava cakes warm with ice cream on top and enjoy!