Creamy pumpkin beer cheese soup is going to be your FAVORITE way to warm up! Flavorful beer, silky fresh pumpkin puree, and tons of cheddar build SO much flavor in this cozy soup.
Sooooo this pumpkin beer cheese soup is basically all the best things about Wisconsin piled into one soup pot.
Minus the snow cause we’re not quite there yet. Beer and cheese season however? It’s a year-round kinda deal where I come from, THANK GOODNESS.
I’m just sayin’, my state has the best food, period. And this pumpkin beer cheese soup is literally the best thing I’ve ever dipped day-old $1 Jimmy John’s french bread in, period.
And before you judge my life choices……consider the fact that it’s ONE DOLLAR BREAD. And it’s a long as heck sub. And you literally cannot have pumpkin beer cheese soup without a quality dipper in mass quantities.
You’d get kicked outta Wisconsin for pulling a stunt like that.
We are taking the pumpkin game to serious levels today because there are NO cans in sight for this incredible soup. We’re going all out and roasting a whole pumpkin because we want MASSIVE pumpkin flavors shining through in this soup.
Don’t be daunted, it’s literally the easiest. (very carefully) Cut a pie pumpkin in half, clean out all the guts and seeds, rub the inside with olive oil and send it to the oven for awhile. Once it’s super tender, the skin will fall right off and you’ll be able to easily puree the pumpkin “meat.”
Now it’s time to build the good stuff! And by that I mean, grab two beers, one for the actual soup and one for personal purposes if ya get what I mean. And lots of sharp cheddar cheese, you’ll want that too.
I promise there’s other stuff in this soup too like onions, chicken broth, cream, etc. Those are just the less important details when you’ve got the mighty trio of pumpkin, beer, and cheese being so show steal-y and all.
Holyyyy heck. It’s literally so creamy you might cry. It’s got just a hint of beer flavor that’s surrounded by melty sharp cheddar and silky roast pumpkin.
This is a taste of WISCONSIN for ya and trust me, we know what we’re doing in the soup department. 🙌🙌
Pumpkin Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 medium pie pumpkin, cut in half, seeds removed and inside scraped clean
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 12 oz light beer
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh minced thyme for topping
- Place pumpkin halves on a baking sheet and evenly coat insides with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place cut side-down on baking sheet and roast at 400F 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is easily pierced with a knife.
- Scoop out pumpkin filling and discard skin. Set pumpkin aside in a bowl.
- In a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter then add onion and carrot, sauteing several minutes until translucent. Add garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, half and half, beer, and pumpkin chunks and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer soup to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth. Return soup to pot and continue bringing to a low simmer. Once bubbly, reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted. Add additional half and half to thin the soup as necessary.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with fresh minced thyme on top. Enjoy!