Packed with irresistible gingerbread flavors, super chewy, and draped in sweet vanilla icing, these iced gingerbread oatmeal cookies are a holiday cookie tray necessity!
I present to you the ONLY cookie you need on that cookie tray/stuffed in your pockets.
….wait, let me start over. The ONLY cookie you need stuffed in your pockets so there’s none of that sharing business necessary.
Trust me on this: the day that gingerbread cookies met oatmeal cookies and they all got covered in icing is a good day to stuff your pockets literally to capacity with these little cookie gems.
C’mon. Seriously. THAT FREAKING STACK of soft, thick, chewy holiday cookie madness??
No fancy ingredients/methods in sight here today, y’all. We’re just gonna keep it simple ‘n’ clean today in cookie land and go back to cookie basics.
That means butter + sugar get creamed together. Egg + vanilla + molasses thrown in. Flour, old-fashioned oats, baking soda, a whoole bunch of gingerbread spices make up the dry portion and it all makes a soft, easy-to-work-with dough.
Roll ’em, bake ’em, top them within an inch of their life with a simple spiced vanilla powdered sugar glaze. Contemplate having a cookie for dinner now. You know you wanna.
Honest to goodness, these gingerbread oatmeal cookies bake up SO incredibly soft and chewy and the oatmeal + gingerbread duo is literal cookie goals. The oatmeal gives these cookies that signature oatmeal cookie texture and the gingerbread brings alllll the holiday flavors home.
I’d recommend double or triple batches of these gems, guys. They’re about to be the most popular cookie and YOU are about to be the most popular person.
Iced Gingerbread Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until completely creamy. Beat in molasses, egg, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Fold flour mixture into liquid until a soft dough forms. Scoop dough into 1-in balls and place 1-in apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies at 350F 10-12 minutes until edges are golden (middles will still look soft - this is ok) Cool cookies on pan 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!