Warm roasted sweet potatoes and tender sauteed kale are tossed in a flavorful tahini dressing for a hearty sweet potato kale salad that’s on the lighter side!
Did someone order a healthy as heck January salad? Either way, it’s warm sweet potato kale salad time.
Yes, we’re drowning it all in to-die-for tahini dressing. It’s all about the balance, my friends.
And of course, with this balance we’ve gotta have a few big shreds of Parm + toasty walnuts because c’mon, we all know salads are due for a little indulgent boost. We deserve it.
Plus warm salads are SO appropriate right now. Everyone I know just cannot handle salads in the winter cause COMFORT FOOD is the only way to go. Buuuut, wilt some fresh kale on the stove, roast a couple sweet ‘taters, a killer dressing, and a few toppings? That’s gonna be a fast and furious yes.
Don’t be suspicious. Just because this sweet potato kale salad is a hot one doesn’t mean it’s high maintenance. The sweet potatoes roast up in only 20 minutes at most and while they’re roasting, you can prep all the other salad components.
Which is gonna be wilting some kale, sauteeing up some onions and a little garlic + ginger. Whisking up tahini dressing and accidentally drinking it all….
But holy heck, that’s one pretty bowl of January healthy GLOW salad goodness…
Wanna make this whole gorgeous bowl a meal with added protein? You can totally pile on some leftover chicken, turkey, steak, etc.
Either way it’s gonna be a cozy hot salad bowl you won’t even mind eating if it’s only 10 degrees out. Promise.
Warm Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts for topping
- Toss sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread in an even layer on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast sweet potatoes at 400F 15-20 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add kale and onion and saute several minutes until kale is just wilted. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste and cook 1 additional minute.
- Toss sweet potatoes into kale mixture and keep warm while you prepare the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk tahini, mustard, lemon juice, and honey until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss sweet potato kale mixture with tahini dressing and top salad with toasted walnuts. Serve warm and enjoy!
This sounds like a delicious salad which I plan to make. I noticed that the ingredient list says honey, but the instructions say agave. Both probably work, but you may want to clarify that.
So sorry for that typo and thanks for letting me know!! 🙂
Anna Powell says
This looks so good with all the colors. Just printed it out. I am on whole30 now and works great for it. thanks !
Omg this was absolutely amazing. It was so flavorful and I was overall pleasantly surprised. I even substituted the dijon mustard with a tablespoon of honey and half a tablespoon of mustard because i didn’t have dijon mustard and it worked perfectly! I will definitely be making this again:)
Yay! So happy to hear you loved this salad, Jenna! 🙂
This was so delicious! Will definitely make again.
Thank you Kara! So glad you enjoyed. 🙂
Christie Trivitt says
WOW!!! This recipe is AMAZING! Perfectly balanced flavor components! It’s one of the best highest quality all plant based meals I have ever had, and the best lunch I ever made myself. I used lacinato kale and red onion in thin slices. Will be saving and using this recipe for life.
Aw I’m so glad to hear that, Christie! Definitely one of our favorites as well. 🙂 Enjoy!!
I have had this recipe on my”try” list for a long time. I finally had kale, sweet potatoes, and time all at the same time. It is amazing, and I won’t be waiting so long to make it again. I think if I knew it was more like a hot vegetable than a cold salad, I would have tried it sooner. Thanks for another delicious recipe!
Wonderful to hear! I’m so glad you enjoyed. 🙂
Delicious! I added chickpeas and avocado and I will definitely be making this again!
Chickpeas and avocado sounds like an AMAZING addition! 🙂