These instant pot Swedish meatballs feature juicy beef meatballs in the most incredible creamy sauce. They’re made completely in the instant pot in minutes and amazing served over hot egg noodles!
Meatball night is sacred around here and these Swedish meatballs are ticking every single box right now!
The fact that the instant pot pretty much takes care of the whole thing is also definitely not hurting our case here.
I mean, have you ever seen a more glorious mess of meatballs?? That creamy sauce pretty much seals the deal.
And we’re making this gem of a dinner in only 40 minutes! Don’t even try to tell me this shouldn’t be dinner every night.
These Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs feature…
- Perfectly tender beef meatballs.
- A rich and creamy beef broth-based sauce.
- Tender egg noodles for serving.
- Only 40 minutes needed to make and they use basic pantry ingredients!
Making the Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Ground beef
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Beef broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley
- Egg noodles
Choosing Your Meat
We personally prefer using ground beef in these meatballs, however, a variety of ground meats will work great in place of the beef!
Ground pork, chicken, or turkey may all be used in this recipe. You could even try experimenting with a half-and-half mixture of ground beef and pork.
Tips for Perfect Swedish Meatballs
- Brown meatballs – we want the meatballs to have a nice golden crust on the outside – no need to cook them fully through!
- Make a roux – a roux means equal parts fat and flour. Add 1 tablespoon butter to drippings in the instant pot, then whisk in flour and cook until golden brown.
- Cook on high pressure 8 minutes – we found that 8 minutes on high pressure was the sweet spot for perfectly tender meatballs and a thick, creamy sauce.
- Quick-release instant pot – no need to let the pressure release naturally, just quick-release the instant pot and you’re good to go!
- Add fresh herbs and Worcestershire sauce – a few tablespoons of fresh minced parsley and Worcestershire adds so much flavor to the sauce.
- Serve meatballs over egg noodles – traditional Swedish meatballs are served over a bowl of warm egg noodles, but feel free to use any pasta!
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions if you wish to prep some components of these meatballs ahead of time!
- Shape meatballs and store in fridge up to 4 days. Shaped meatballs may also be frozen up to 2 months.
- Cook egg noodles and divide between meal prep containers. Store in fridge up to 6 days.
Storing and Freezing Meatballs
These meatballs store well in the fridge up to 6 days. We recommend reheating either in the microwave or in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes.
To freeze meatballs, cool completely, place in a freezer-safe container, and freeze up to 2 months. Defrost meatballs in the fridge and reheat either in microwave or oven.
The savory rich sauce coating these tender meatballs is seriously SO good, we highly recommend drizzling plenty of it over your bowl of noodles and meatballs!
These meatballs will quickly become a weeknight staple in your house and we guarantee you won’t mind it one bit.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch these meatballs made step-by-step on Google web stories!
More meatballs you will definitely want to try next!
Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked egg noodles for serving
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper. Scoop mixture into 1-in meatballs and place on a plate.
- Heat an instant pot using BROWN/SAUTE function. Swirl vegetable oil to coat bottom of instant pot. Place meatballs in instant pot and sear on all sides until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt butter in instant pot drippings. Whisk in flour until smooth and let cook 1-2 minutes until golden-brown. Gradually whisk in beef broth until smooth.
- Add meatballs to instant pot, lock lid into place, and close vent. Cook meatballs on high pressure 8 minutes, then quick release instant pot to release pressure.
- Unlock lid from instant pot and fold heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley into meatballs. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Serve meatballs warm over egg noodles and enjoy!
Leave a Reply