This creamy Tuscan chicken gnocchi features tender gnocchi and chicken simmered in a creamy sauce with lots of sun-dried tomatoes, wilted spinach, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese.
Gnocchi-lovers, you’re going to need to exercise some serious self-control today because this Tuscan-style gnocchi goodness is NOT playing around!
We’re quite literally piling all the goods into this hearty skillet dinner that’s ready in only 40 minutes so the risk level as to whether or not you eat it straight from the pan is pretty high.
No one can resist this creamy goodness, no one.
The real beauty of this gnocchi is that it feels like absolute fancy food, but it’s actually so easy to throw together and we’re totally pulling this off in under an hour.
This Tuscan Gnocchi features…
- Pillowy gnocchi and juicy chicken cubes
- A rich and creamy Parmesan sauce
- Tender sun-dried tomatoes, wilted spinach, and fresh basil
- Ready in only 40 minutes with a handful of ingredients
Making the Tuscan Gnocchi
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- 2% or skim milk
- Heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Baby spinach
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. This cut of chicken is fast to cook up in the skillet and turns out super tender and juicy.
If you don’t have breasts on hand, boneless skinless chicken thighs will work great instead! You can also use leftover shredded or diced cooked chicken and add it at the end of cooking.
Tips for Perfect Tuscan Gnocchi
- Pan sear chicken – this cooks the chicken through and builds a flavorful base for the sauce.
- Cook gnocchi separately – boil the gnocchi several minutes until they float to the top of water.
- Use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes – we love that you can use these straight out of the jar, no re-hydrating needed.
- Add spinach at end of cooking – the heat from the sauce will wilt the spinach perfectly without overcooking it.
- Use fresh basil – this adds an unmatchable fresh element to the dish.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this gnocchi.
- Skip the meat – omit the chicken entirely or add a vegetable in its place (see ideas below)
- Try a different cheese – try asiago, mozzarella, or cheddar in place of the Parmesan.
- Add vegetables – try adding sautéed mushrooms, sweet pepper, peas, zucchini, or broccoli.
This gnocchi is best served immediately warm from the skillet, but if you end up with some leftovers we find that they reheat perfectly fine in the microwave. Reheat individual servings on high 2-3 minutes until heated through.
Y’all, this gnocchi is one for the comfort food record books, NO contest! The creamy sauce coats every inch of the pillowy gnocchi and juicy chicken bites, while the sun-dried tomatoes and all that fresh basil and Parm kick all the flavors up.
Permanently on the dinner rotation with zero regrets.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More favorite gnocchi recipes to try next!
Skillet Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% or skim milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb gnocchi, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups firmly-packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Place chicken cubes on a plate and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan and sear 3-5 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a plate, keep warm, and set aside.
- In same pan, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add shallot and saute 3-5 minutes until very lightly browned. Whisk in garlic and flour until smooth and cook 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream until smooth. Bring sauce to a low simmer over medium heat and cook until thickened.
- Stir in chicken cubes, cooked gnocchi, Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, and spinach. Allow to cook several minutes, stirring until spinach is wilted.
- Season chicken and gnocchi with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm. Enjoy!