Loaded with tender asparagus, juicy cherry tomatoes and lots of soft feta cheese, these springtime omelets whip up in minutes and are perfect for a healthier brunch!
For ASPARAGUS e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.
Gimme an A-S-P…..okay, I’ll stop.
Really, though. Please tell me I’m not the only foodie here currently crushing on all things asparagus. It’s the #1 thing I look forward to most about spring. No liez.
And it somehow ends up in…..well, ALL the things this time of year.
Sorry to all the asparagus-haters out there. There’s definitely more coming.
So every Saturday morning we have kind of a tradition in my family that I’ll make my mom a special omelet usually loaded with ALL the works. She says it’s the highlight of her week.
I’ve heard omelets can do that. 😉
Last Saturday morning as I was contemplating the omelet-filling possibilities for Mom’s omelet, my eyes fell upon a gorgeously-GORGEOUS bagful of asparagus.
I was like YES! This is gonna be epic. Let’s DOOOO this!
But then….I thought, am I taking things a little too far with the ‘sparagus? Maybe I should check with Mom first….
So the conversation went something like this….
Me: How do you feel about asparagus in your omelet this morning?
Mom: Is that even a question?? Pile it in!
I just KNEW I got that asparagus obsession from someone in my family and I guess that just confirmed who.
Normally I’ll make just Mom an omelet on Saturday mornings and I’ll usually have a bowl of cereal or something, (ugh, I’m so lame I know….) but once the idea of asparagus-loaded omelets entered into my head I knew I could NOT just have boring cornflakes for breakfast. The omelet call had spoken.
I couldn’t ignore….
So two ginormous, greek-loaded, asparagus-stuffed omelets were made that morning. And devoured like nobody’s business.
My mom’s and my consensus? Asparagus BELONGS in an omelet. Also, we’ve just found our go-to Saturday-morning omelet.
Lastly, my cornflakes are taking a backseat for the foreseeable future.
Let’s do a run-down of all the awesomeness loaded into these beauties, yes?
- We’ve got the gorgeous asparagus spears. Obviously the most important part.
- Juicy, uber-fresh cherry tomatoes. My jam.
- An overload of feta cheese. Feta is everything, the end.
All this loaded inside the FLUFFIEST eggs you can imagine. So fluffy I am going to DIE!
Oh, and a quick tip: If you were wise you would slice up an avocado or twenty and serve it on the side of your perfectly-loaded omelet.
Because um, avocados are life and belong in everything. It’s a must.
Brunch is ON, guys! Happy, happy Monday. 🙂
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-in pieces
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- In a medium skillet over medium-high, heat 1 teaspoon oil until shimmering. Add asparagus and cherry tomatoes and saute, stirring occasionally until asparagus is tender and cherry tomatoes have burst. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Gently beat eggs with salt and pepper. Set aside. Over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet until shimmering. Pour half of egg mixture into skillet and let stand until edges just begin to set. Gently lift up set edges and tilt pan to let uncooked egg flow underneath. Repeat several times until eggs are set.
- Arrange half of asparagus mixture on half of omelette and top with 1/4 cup feta cheese. Gently flip un-filled half of omelette over the filling and let it cook until cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Repeat with remaining oil, egg mixture, asparagus mixture and cheese to make a 2nd omelette. Serve omelettes warm immediately.
More omelets from my blogging friends!