Flavorful smoked salmon, creamy avocado, and tender asparagus join forces in this smoked salmon avocado toast that’s both impressive and quick to make!
Ready for your breakfast to win the ultimate beauty prize? The secret to doing so is almost always avocado toast.
And today we’re giving this humble toast quite the spring makeover with the classic pairing of smoked salmon + asparagus with even a beautiful fried egg and a little pickled red onion action thrown on top.
Life’s too short for your breakfast game to not be looking this gorgeous, period.
Despite this avocado toast being loaded with SO much goodness, it’s actually the most simple thing ever to pull off! It practically doesn’t even need a recipe, it’s so easy and minimal on the ingredients.
Make it for Mother’s Day brunch or any family weekend breakfast and watch it be an instant hit!
This Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast features…
- Crisp toasted sourdough bread
- Creamy, lemony mashed avocado
- Thin slices of flavorful smoked salmon
- Tender sauteed asparagus spears
- An incredible array of toppings including eggs (cooked your preference), fresh chives, pickled red onions, and grated Parmesan cheese
Making the Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Smoked salmon
Choosing Your Salmon
We recommend using deli smoked salmon or lox for this avocado toast which you can find it in the deli department of most grocery stores
Homemade smoked salmon or even a pan-seared salmon fillet will also work great in this recipe. You could also just skip the salmon entirely for a vegetarian-friendly avocado toast or replace it with another meat. The sky’s the limit with options!
Tips for Perfect Avocado Toast
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces – trim off the tough asparagus ends and then cut into 1-inch spears to make the asparagus easier to eat in the toast.
- Slice bread semi-thick – thicker slices will have better structure for building all the layers on this toast.
- Use ripe avocados – this will make for easy mashing and the perfect silky texture.
- Mash avocado with lemon and garlic – this flavors the avocado, plus the lemon helps keep it from turning brown.
- Assemble avocado toast just before serving – while you can prep a lot of the components ahead of time, for best results do not assemble the avocado toast until just before you’re ready to serve it.
Try these ideas for a different spin on this recipe!
- Add a layer of cream cheese – this will add a wonderful creamy element to the toast.
- Try a different veggie – sauteed sweet pepper, mushrooms, or thinly-sliced zucchini would all be great veggie options.
- Skip the salmon – as mentioned above, you can absolutely skip the smoked salmon for a vegetarian-friendly toast.
- Get creative with your eggs – try over-easy, over-hard, scrambled, sunny-side-up, or poached!
- Make it spicy – add a few shakes of red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the mashed avocado for a spicy toast.
Best Avocado Toast Toppings
The sky’s the limit for what you can top your avocado toast with! Try some of our favorites…
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh herbs (chives, parsley, basil, or dill)
- Cheese (Parmesan, asiago, feta, or goat cheese)
- Sauces (hot sauce, salsa, balsamic glaze, or your favorite sauce)
The rich creaminess from the avocado paired with the tender asparagus and smoky salmon really is the most winning trio in this avocado toast! Somehow it tastes even better than it looks.
There’s really just no going wrong with this toast on your breakfast agenda literally any morning!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this avocado toast made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More savory breakfast ideas to try next!
Asparagus Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-in pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 small ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 slices sourdough or multigrain bread, toasted
- 6 oz smoked salmon
- 4 large eggs, cooked your preference (fried, over-easy, over-hard, etc)
- Pickled red onions, chives, and grated Parmesan for topping (optional)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, then add olive oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add asparagus and saute over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until asparagus is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside for a moment.
- Place avocado in a medium bowl and mash well with a fork. Fold in garlic powder, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide avocado between toasted bread and top with smoked salmon, asparagus, eggs, and optional toppings. Serve avocado toast immediately and enjoy!