Dinner’s on the table in only 30 minutes in one pan when you make this extra-comforting broccoli and chicken-loaded mac ‘n’ cheese.—Destined to become a weeknight regular!
I bring new meaning to the words chicken dinner stir-crazy.
I mean, we ARE on #3 in the space of only one week….
Okaaay, yeah I get it. The chicken dinner winners may just sliiiiiightly be spiraling out of control. I promise I DO eat other things for dinner besides chicken! Like cake for instance. And pancakes on occasion….and okay, sometimes both at the same time.
Balance, guys. BALANCE.
Okay, so fabulous news, guys! Today’s stove-top, 30-minute dinner wonder is only the first of many! I joined forces with a bunch of my best blogging gals and starting this month we’re all going to be sharing our best 30-minute dinner recipes the first Thursday of every month.
30-Minute Thursdays has a pretty awesome ring to it. 🙂
On a completely different topic: Guys! Yesterday was my first day in full-uniform in the kitchen! The whole deal: Black pants, black shoes, white chef’s coat and puffy chef’s hat.
I only look slightly ridiculous because everything is like 2 sizes too big for me, but oh, well. I FEEL like a pro and that’s all that matters. (hahaaaa)
Even bigger news, my ridiculously-expensive, but also ridiculously-NICE knife kit arrived in the mail yesterday too! WOOT.
I christened the chef’s knife pretty much right away. We had spent all day in the kitchen the day before learning different knife cuts, and suffice to say I need practice. Who knew there were so many different ways you could cut a carrot?!
We should probably discuss the latest glory of my most recent chicken dinner uh, SOMETIME today, I suppose…
Let’s put it in bullet points! (yeaa!)
- One-pot (minus cooking the pasta separately)
- 30 minutes (uh, dinner lifesaver??)
- Total comfort food. (I mean, mac ‘n’ cheese, guys!)
- Entire meal-in-one. (meat, pasta, veggies = all your bases covered!)
- Last but not least…it’s just really, really good, friends. ♥
This mac is seriously so simple and basic, but wowza…It’s ultra-gooey and cheesy just like all mac ‘n’ cheese should be. It’s loaded with tons of tender broccoli and chicken. It doesn’t even require turning on the oven or dirtying up a bunch of pots, which we ALL know is a total game-changer when it comes to dinner…
Wrap all that up in a pretty little package with the words THIRTY MINUTES on it and what do we get?
Your dinner menu’s new-and-soon-to-be-regular BFF.
And I don’t know about you, but I think we all deserve a round of applause and an XXL panful of this mac ‘n’ cheese for making it through the first “official” week of September.
That also calls for second helpings and wine afterwards.
Consider Thursday nailed by carbs. Bring on Fri-yaaaaaay!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-in cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb rotini (or spiral) pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter is hot, add chicken, onion, garlic, and broccoli to pan. Stir occasionally until vegetables begin to soften and chicken is no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir flour into cooked chicken mixture. Slowly add milk and cream, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Stir sauce occasionally over medium heat, until just simmering and beginning to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Add parsley and season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir cooked pasta into sauce until evenly coated and return to medium heat. Stir macaroni occasionally until heated through. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Be sure to check out all the other 30-Minute Thursday recipes from these talented bloggers!