Got a chocolate craving? Fix it the easy way with this single-layer, super-moist chocolate cake that mixes up in one bowl in only a few minutes.—Chocolate cake without all the fuss!
One-bowlin’ it. Single layerin’ it. And chocolate cakin’ it because Monday called and requested all the easy + chocolate-y stuff.
I’m on board. You? Cool.
So at this point I can actually read your thoughts. You’re thinking wait, whaaaaat?? What on earth happened to all the other layers that come with chocolate cake? Why is there only one wimpy layer??
Multiple cake layers have no place in easy cake town, so we’re dialing it down to single today. Don’t freak out on me yet, guys—there’s definitely no shortage of chocolate. 😉
If you’ve spent even a minute on WAHO, you’d probably know that chocolate cake is pretty cliche around here. We’ve done all the layers, sheet cake-style, and bundt cake, but never just a stupid-simple mix-dump-bake-frost-and-devour kinda cake.
Let’s be honest. Those are our favorite kinds of desserts. Especially if your name is Sarah and you happen to be a totally lazy cake baker.
Guilty but totally willing to live with my shame as long as I can have this chocolate cake.
This cake is about as simple as they come, guys. Never made your own cake from scratch before? This is your recipe to start with! It’s practically guaranteed ultra-moist. The cake batter mixes up completely in bowl with completely basic pantry ingredients.
And while the cake bakes you’ll have plenty of time to whip up the chocolate fudge frosting that we conveniently have not even spoken of until this point in time.
Oh glory, I L-O-V-E this frosting so much! It’s sorta like chocolate fudge/pudding in frosting form. It’s my mom’s recipe and totally my fav.
You might eat it all from the pan and I completely understand.
You’re really really REALLY going to love this cake, friends. Make it to share or don’t share at all. Use your best chocolate cake judgement. 😀
That actually means don’t share if you want to be technical. We make smart decisions around here.
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-in cake pan with a parchment paper round and lightly grease bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, oil, egg, milk, coffee, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to liquid and gently fold until just combined (batter will be slightly thin)
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake cake at 350F 28-30 minute or until cake comes out with moist crumbs sticking to it. Cool cake completely on a wire cooling rack then, invert onto a serving plate.
- Make the frosting: In a small saucepan, whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt with water until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat until frosting is thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Allow frosting to cool slightly, then frost over cooled cake. Slice and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥