Stuffed with all your favorite taco fillings and made completely in the crockpot, these twice-baked sweet potatoes will quickly become an easy weeknight dinner regular!
Life lesson number 935. When in doubt, stuff it in a sweet potato.
The scientifically-proven way to get anyone over that Tuesday dinner hump. Do you get those humps too, guys? I do my meal planning for the coming week on Sundays and I’m usually all energetic and happy because, well…Sunday. It holds meaning as all weekends do.
Then Monday rolls around and I’m all like ehhh, okay let’s do this dinner ‘thang. By the time we hit Tuesday, my dinner motivation is at a record low and I’m seriously considering letting Mr. Cherrios have the spotlight.
Shhhhhh…just let me dwell peacefully in my dinner shame.
So we should definitely talk about what’s currently helping me through those dang dinner humps.
Source #1: Crockpot!! It’s crockpot dinners week on my blog and a BIG hallelujah for all the easy that comes with that!
Source #2: Cozy, cozy, and more cozy dinners. Piping-hot, and cozy-your-soul kinda comfort food. It’s my thing.
Source #3: These twice-baked sweet potatoes. Guys, CROCKPOT sweet potatoes. Stuffed with a kickin’ taco filling and covered in ‘zee cheese, please. A nearly completely hands-off dinner.
Let me lay out the twice-baked sweet potatoes process for y’all. —>
- Sweet potatoes take a nice long cook in the crockpot until nice and tender.
- Spicy beef ‘n’ bean taco filling, meet your new house named Sweet Potato.
- Cheese, come join the partaaaaay.
- Back to the crockpot with everything for 1-ish hours on high.
- Topping time. Load ALL the things on top of the cheese!
- Faceplant time. And it is about time.
You think the family would complain if I kept the crockpot full of these sweet potatoes for the remainder of the week? Think of all the things we could accomplish! Taco sweet potatoes emit motivation by the mass.
Oh, it is on, Tuesday. Who’s your dinner boss now?
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced avocado, sliced olives, extra cheese, ect. for serving
- Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce all over with a fork. Place sweet potatoes in a greased 5-qt crockpot. Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 5-6 hours until sweet potatoes are very tender. Keep warm in crockpot.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic until beef is no longer pink. Drain grease and add tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, and taco seasoning to skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut down the center (but not all the way through) of sweet potatoes and gently open sweet potatoes. Fill each with taco filling and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cook sweet potatoes an additional hour on high until cheese is melted and filling is hot. Top sweet potatoes with suggested taco toppings and enjoy hot!
More sweet potato inspiration! <3