This springy lemon poppyseed bundt cake is so soft and moist inside, you’d never guess its lighter on the calories! A showstopping springtime dessert you’ll make over and over again.
Cake Thursday!!! It is so officially a thing as of now.
Why? Because Thursday, but mainly because of spring. It is officially on and I am not-so-subtlety excited about the fact that it is supposed to 70 freaking degrees here tomorrow. I KNOW!! So celebratory slices of lemon poppyseed bundt cake around for everybody!
Sidenote: Is there any occasion that I won’t celebrate with cake? I’m what they call a cake opportunist. You know you love it.
So I probably need to tell you about all the gloriousness this cake holds. Guys, for real, get ready to fall into a bundt cake comatose. Not even kidding. Consider the big cake guns officially out and pointing their lemon poppyseed goodness straight ‘atcha.
Probably biased opinion since I’m currently eating said cake for like the twelveth time. Whatever.
Ultra-OMG-ULTRA-ULTRA moist and lemon-y interior. Glazed every inch on the exterior. Studded with millions of poppyseeds that actually don’t have a taste, but dangit they look so pretty. <3
And guess what, guess what, guess what?? We’ve lightened things up in a MAJOR way today, but you’d absolutely never guess it! Half the butter is replaced with greek yogurt and a lemon simple syrup brushed on the outside of the cake whilst it’s still warm ensures that the cake will stay super-soft and rich inside.
Mercy…sweet lemon mercy…
If you’re a crazy plan-ahead kinda person like myself and are already thinking of Mother’s Day eats, make a mental note to yourself that this cake = total Moms day fare. Just throwin’ that fact out there, y’all. 😉
Until then…Cake Thursday ALL the way.
Aaaand go now.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease and flour a nonstick 9-in bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat on high speed with a handheld mixer until smooth. Beat in lemon juice, zest, yogurt, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and poppyseeds. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake cake at 350F 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool cake in pan completely, then invert onto a serving plate.
- Make the glaze: Whisk glaze ingredients in a small bowl until a thick glaze forms. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
Try these other lemon lovelies next time!!