Ultra-fluffy and moist crumb muffins, loaded with lemon flavor and made lighter with greek yogurt.—It’s like spring in a muffin!!
The muffin train is officially BACK, guys! I knoooow, we had practically a 5-year muffin-less hiatus going strong for awhile there, but please allow me to change all that today.
Because these, peeps. ↓↓ It’s going down.
Spring things are going down kinda like they have all this week. And whaaaaaat the heck, I’m just now realizing that March is officially over as of one week from tomorrow.
That probably calls for more muffins. I don’t know why but it just does. Whenever in doubt, eat a muffin. Go with it.
So the other day I had a streusel craving. Don’t think of me as deranged or anything, guys. Just outta the blue I wanted a big bakery-style muffin SUPER-heavy on the crumb topping and I wanted it now. We all get those extremely detail-oriented cravings, right?
So I had to make muffins at like 3pm in the afternoon. Because spontaneous cravings could care less timewise.
And obviously I couldn’t NOT throw a bunch of lemony goodness into my muffin batter too. In addition to hearing the call of streusel, I was hearing the call of SPRING.
And thus…this spring-loaded, crumb-covered beauty of a muffin was born.
You can bet it didn’t stick around long. Dang muffins always running out on me.
Oh, and guess what, guess what, guys?? Not only are these glorious muffins practically a dead-ringer for those outrageously-priced ones from the bakery, they’re totally easy on the calories! Once again, greek yogurt steps in to save the day and our skinny jeans. Hallelujah!
Sooo question: why are you not stuffing your face with these RIGHT now??
Which reminds me…uh, be right back.
Lighter Greek Yogurt Lemon Crumb Muffins
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk sugar, melted coconut oil, eggs, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined. Fill muffin tins to brim with batter and set aside for a moment to prepare the topping.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, toss all topping ingredients until crumbly and in pea-sized shapes. Sprinkle topping over muffin batter and gently press crumbs to adhere them to batter.
- Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking an additional 14-15 minutes until muffins test done with a toothpick. Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy muffins warm!
Try my other totally guilt-free muffins next!