Jam-packed with juicy strawberries, filled with a luscious cheesecake filling and sprinkled with a buttery crumb topping, these ultra-soft muffins are going to become a total summertime favorite!
Oh, man. If it’s even possible to bottle up all of summer in a muffin, THESE would be those muffins.
The muffin of Summer 2015. It’s theeeeeeese.
Little sidenote here: Am I the only one in complete denial that we have kinda reached the HALFWAY point of summer?? What is even up with this madness??
That freakout moment when you realize that you start culinary school in only a little more than a month. That bittersweet moment when you realize that soon lazy summer days will be no more. Eeeeeeek!!
My primary goals until then are to start making the most of what’s left of summer everything.
And obviously eat all of these muffins. Every. Day.
Do you think that’s even possible? I want to find out. ♥
Are you familiar with my classic blueberry muffins? Today’s version is loosely based off of that recipe that I freakin’ loooooove. We’re gonna shake things up a bit by….
- Throwing fresh strawberries into the mix. So much yessssss.
- Jamming the middle of these muffins with a positively evil cheesecake filling.
- Loading up the top with irresistible crumb topping by the truckload.
Done. And here we have a winner of a muffin.
That first bite of these muffins is absolutely dreamy. Oh my goodness….bite #1 takes you down through the crisp, buttery crumb topping, into the luscious cream cheese filling, and lastly into the super-moist, jammed-with-strawberries muffin interior.
Bites #2, 3, and 10 are pretty much the same. And 100% as magical.
My family ate all 1 dozen of these muffins in less than 2 hours. My brother told me that these are the best muffins I’ve ever made. Friends, that’s huge right there because seriously, have you even SEEN my muffin archives?? My family is definitely NOT deprived of a vast variety and endless supply of muffins.
I blame the riots these muffins more or less caused in my house solely on the cheesecake center. ♥
Otherwise known as the center of all LIFE.
Don’t mess with a muffin as awesome as these are. You might eat them all and that would be just…..
…wait. DO mess with these muffins, you rebel, you. Smart people would just eat them all.
Seriously, what would you do without me to give you this wise life advice?
Here’s my last advice for you today: Make these muffins now. Do it, do it, DOOO ITTT!
Strawberry Cheesecake Crumb Muffins
- MUFFIN BATTER:
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- Make the muffin batter: Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy. Beat in yogurt, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. Fold flour mixture into liquid, stirring until just combined. Gently fold in strawberries. Set batter aside for a moment while you prepare the filling.
- Make the filling: Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat on medium speed with an electric handheld mixer until creamy. Set aside for a moment while you prepare the topping.
- Make the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl, tossing with a fork until crumbly
- Assemble the muffins: Fill muffin cups 1/3 full of batter. Place 1 tablespoon cream cheese filling in middle of each cup. Top filling with remaining batter and smooth tops. (cups should be filled to brim with batter) Sprinkle topping evenly over batter and gently press crumbs into batter to adhere.
- Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 18-20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown. Cool muffins completely in pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!!
Clearly, I’m more or less the muffin lady. Try these other favorites next! ♥
Bakery-Style Blueberry Almond Crumble Muffins
Best-Ever Morning Glory Muffins
Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
These look gorgeous, Sarah! Cheesecake muffins with a crumb topping sound like the best combo ever! What a perfect breakfast or dessert! Totally trying these babies out!
It totally is the best combo you could ever ask of a muffin! 😀 Thanks Gayle!
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter says
These muffins are perfect, Sarah! Love the strawberry and cheesecake combo! That crumb topping is totally calling my name! These look gorgeous!
Thanks so much Kelly! Happy Friday. xoxo
Your photos are beautiful and those muffins looks absolutely perfect for these last summer mornings! I am also in denial about the last half of summer. I am soaking up all my favorite summer things before the craziness of fall begins.
Thank you so much Chelsea!!
Annie @ Annie's Noms says
I’m in denial about it being mid summer already too! But these muffins. Oh my gosh, they’re beautiful and they really do encompass Summer in one muffin! 🙂
Right?? I swear June just FLEW by and so is July!
Jen | Baked by an Introvert says
I am right there with you! I don’t want summer to end and the though that it’s halfway over breaks my heart. But these cheesecake muffins make happy! I need one now!
Thanks Jen!! You’ve gotta try these muffins before strawberries go outta season! 😉
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
So funny you say that, because just yesterday I was thinking, “man, when I was a kid I would start getting so bummed mid july because summer is half over”. But now that I’m adult, it all kind of feels the same to me. Especially living in California, when every day is basically perfect weather. Speaking of perfect, how perfect are these muffins?! Craving!
Haha! I definitely don’t belong in a place with weather like Wisconsin! Cali-style aaaaaall the way. 😉 Thanks Nat!
Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks says
These are so cute and decadent! And I love how you’ve lightened them up.
Thanks so much Dani!
I absolutely love a good blueberry muffin, but these look great too! I especially like that you used coconut sugar.
Thank you Felicia! I loooove coconut sugar in muffins! 😀
I don’t what I like more … that filling or the crumb topping!! And yes, I cannot believe that July is already halfway over … this year is flying by at warp speed!
Eee! I know it! Crazy to think that 2015 is over half over already.
Shall we just go ahead and declare this The Summer of Muffins! This muffin in particular, obviously, because WHOA. I want to cuddle with that thing all day long.
I’m totally down with that declaration! LOL. Happy Friday, girlie!!
Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates says
Ahhh culinary school in just 1 month?! I am so excited for you girlfriend! I can’t wait for those instructors to be so impressed with our talented Sarah! They are just gonna keep asking “Um how old are you again?” And I really think they should see your blog because you are CLEARLY multitalented (hello stunning food photographer and hilarious writer!).
AND you are killing me with these muffins. They wouldn’t last two hours in my house either. Drooling over here and now I am strangely dissatisfied with my boring greek yogurt breakfast.
Ohhhh girl, you totally just made my day! You are seriously so sweet and supportive, Mariah! Thanks so much for all the love, girlfriend! xoxo. Wish I could send you a few dozen of these muffins! 😉
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom says
Sarah, I LOVE these muffins!!!! Summer in a muffin, indeed!!!! Beautiful!
Thanks Alice! Hope you had a great weekend. 🙂
Kelly // The Pretty Bee: Cooking & Creating says
Oooh, these look like a wonderful way to use up strawberries! Scrumptious!
The best way!! 😉 Thanks Kelly!
Coley @ Coley Cooks says
These muffins look delicious and I will mess with them! I’m going to try these out, great for summer breakfasts or anytime! Yum!
Haha yes do mess with them!! LOL. Let me know how they turn out, Coley! 🙂
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
The secret to a perfect muffin I always find is the combination of greek yoghurt and tangy buttermilk.. so I bet these tasted just as moist and delicious as they look.
YES! I put those two ingredients in nearly all my muffins just because it ALWAYS makes for awesome texture! 😉 Thanks Thaila!