Pan-seared basil pesto chicken breasts get topped with a homemade basil pesto and lots of mozzarella cheese for an easy skillet chicken dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
I think it’s been confirmed that I have an addiction to my skillet. Help neither requested nor wanted in eating all the good things that come from this addiction.
I will request though that you try your hardest to make MY addiction YOUR addiction. That involves hiring your skillet for full-time dinner duty. <<< the best investment.
I actually recently added to my growing-at-an-alarming-rate-of-speed skillet/saucepan collection too! Never hurts to have a stockpile of pans. Also, buying new pans is honestly just so fun.
Especially that first time you use it. GAH! It’s like a christening. These basil pesto chicken breasts were actually the first thing to enter my new pan and that was a good dinner experience.
Since we basically NEVER do boring skillet dinners around here, you could probably guess that we’re going all-in on the flavors today. Literally MULTIPLE layers of flavor since we have…
+ lightly-breaded/pan-seared chicken breasts.
+ slathered with a homemade basil pesto sauce.
+ sauteed sweet peppers and onions.
+ mozzarella covering the whole shebang.
A skillet of chicken dinner goals, guys? I think so too.
And I’m not just saying that because these pesto chicken breasts have served as my dinner three times in the past week.
Hey, when you’ve got a good dinner ‘thang going…don’t mess with it.
Just make it. Over and over and over again. 😏😏
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4 medium ones)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Make the pesto: In a food processor, process all pesto ingredients, drizzling olive oil through the top until pesto is smooth. Season pesto with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Make the chicken: Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip chicken in egg and dredge in flour again until completely coated.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until pan is hot. Sear chicken 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping once until chicken is golden brown. Transfer to a plate (chicken will not be cooked through)
- Saute onion, garlic, and sweet pepper in pan drippings until veggies are just barely tender. Return chicken to pan and spread pesto evenly over each chicken breast.
- Finish baking the chicken in the oven at 400 20-25 minutes or until chicken registers 165F. Place a mozzarella slice over each chicken breast and broil 1 minute until cheese is melted. Serve chicken hot and enjoy!
Skillet dinners are kinda my thing. Try this tortellini next!!