Pan-seared basil pesto chicken breasts get topped with a homemade basil pesto and lots of mozzarella cheese for an easy skillet chicken dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
I think it’s been confirmed that I have an addiction to my skillet. Help neither requested nor wanted in eating all the good things that come from this addiction.
I will request though that you try your hardest to make MY addiction YOUR addiction. That involves hiring your skillet for full-time dinner duty. <<< the best investment.
I actually recently added to my growing-at-an-alarming-rate-of-speed skillet/saucepan collection too! Never hurts to have a stockpile of pans. Also, buying new pans is honestly just so fun.
Especially that first time you use it. GAH! It’s like a christening. These basil pesto chicken breasts were actually the first thing to enter my new pan and that was a good dinner experience.
Since we basically NEVER do boring skillet dinners around here, you could probably guess that we’re going all-in on the flavors today. Literally MULTIPLE layers of flavor since we have…
+ lightly-breaded/pan-seared chicken breasts.
+ slathered with a homemade basil pesto sauce.
+ sauteed sweet peppers and onions.
+ mozzarella covering the whole shebang.
A skillet of chicken dinner goals, guys? I think so too.
And I’m not just saying that because these pesto chicken breasts have served as my dinner three times in the past week.
Hey, when you’ve got a good dinner ‘thang going…don’t mess with it.
Just make it. Over and over and over again. ??
Skillet Mozzarella Basil Pesto Chicken Breasts
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breasts 4 medium ones
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium sweet pepper thinly sliced
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Make the pesto: In a food processor, process all pesto ingredients, drizzling olive oil through the top until pesto is smooth. Season pesto with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Make the chicken: Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip chicken in egg and dredge in flour again until completely coated.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat until pan is hot. Sear chicken 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping once until chicken is golden brown. Transfer to a plate (chicken will not be cooked through)
- Saute onion, garlic, and sweet pepper in pan drippings until veggies are just barely tender. Return chicken to pan and spread pesto evenly over each chicken breast.
- Finish baking the chicken in the oven at 400 20-25 minutes or until chicken registers 165F. Place a mozzarella slice over each chicken breast and broil 1 minute until cheese is melted. Serve chicken hot and enjoy!
Skillet dinners are kinda my thing. Try this tortellini next!!