Blueberry pancakes get a fun makeover with yellow cornmeal, which makes these pancakes unbelievably light and fluffy. Top these pancakes with LOTS of maple syrup!
How long has it been since my last pancake recipe? 1 or 2 weeks? That’s way too long, my friends and it’s just not acceptable any way you look at it. I’m making up for it, though…..With some of the most rustic pancakes you will ever taste. Nope, these are not just plain, old blueberry pancakes—hence the title—these are blueberry CORNMEAL pancakes, and they are probably the best ‘darn pancakes you will ever have the pleasure of consuming.
Am I the only one who just loves the ‘combo of blueberries and cornmeal? It seems like a slightly odd combination of flavors, but you will not believe how well the two go together. Like peanut butter and jelly. Like cookies and milk. Like strawberries and cream. (okay, I’ll stop now 😉 ) You get the point, blueberries and cornmeal were made to be together. They were especially meant for each other in these pancakes.
These pancakes are super-light and fluffy; thanks to the yellow cornmeal and they are simply exploding with juicy blueberries. And obviously they are drenched to within an inch of their life with sticky maple syrup…..The only way to enjoy pancakes.
‘Cause everything’s better with more syrup 😀
Nobody I know has time to slave away the morning in the kitchen making breakfast. Even on a weekend. That’s why, for your convenience, these pancakes are ready in less than 30 minutes and call for staple pantry ingredients. Nope, you don’t even have to go to the grocery store. Because who, in their right mind, would want to change outta their PJ’s on a Sunday?
Lazy Sundays are a norm around here, and the simplicity and comfort of the blueberry pancakes remind me of just that: Lazy, boring Sundays spent doing nothing.
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-2 teaspoons safflower oil divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, do NOT thaw
- Maple syrup and butter for serving.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons oil, egg, and buttermilk until smooth. Add liquid ingredients to dry, gently stirring until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to 300F. Lightly grease with remaining oil. Drop pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls in four spots on skillet. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon blueberries over each pancake. Cook pancakes on first side 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook on opposite side 1-2 more minutes. Transfer pancakes to a serving plate. Repeat step 2 with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes warm with maple syrup and butter.
Just love the combo of blueberries and cornmeal—I still have yet to try a blueberry cornbread recipe, but when I do, you can bet I’ll be sharing it with you guys. (Got any recipe suggestions?)
Check out my other blueberry recipes!
(Like a fig newton….except made with a delicious blueberry filling!)
Iced Blueberry Lemon Muffins
(The moistest, fluffiest blueberry muffin ever….made low fat!)
Blueberry Streusel Bars
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
(Where all the pancake delicious-ness began!)