You won’t believe how crispy and flavorful these baked zucchini fries are! Easy to whip up in minutes and perfect for an abundance of zucchini.
Meet your new zucchini obsession! It’s coming dressed up extra-crispy and pairs well with pretty much any dipping sauce your heart desires.
Literally the best thing you’ll ever do with an abundance of summer zucchini I’ll tell ya that.
Yeah so anyways, you’re about to single-handedly eat an entire pan of these fries…
You’d never be able to tell that we’re oven-baking these fries instead of relying on deep-frying, because they’re just SO impossibly crispy and highlight the zucchini perfectly.
And in case you’re wondering, yes, it is possible to make a meal out of ’em.
These Zucchini Fries feature…
- A super crispy exterior
- Flavorful panko breading
- Minutes to make with additional air fryer instructions
Making the Zucchini Fries
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- 2% or skim milk
- All-purpose flour
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Pan spray
Air Fryer Instructions
When we want a faster cooking method we love cooking these zucchini fries in the air fryer! Spray zucchini well with pan spray and air fry in a single layer at 400F 6-8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
Do note that you will likely need to cook the fries in several batches (depending on the size of your air fryer) so as not to overcrowd the basket.
Tips for Perfect Zucchini Fries
- Cut zucchini into uniform sizes – ideally, you want uniform 1/2 x 3-1/2 inch zucchini fries. Try to cut them all the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- Use traditional breading method – this means coating the zucchini in flour, beaten egg, and then rolling in the breadcrumbs mixture. This method will help your breading stick to the zucchini.
- Spray fries with nonstick spray – this adds a little bit of fat to the fries and helps them cook up perfectly golden.
- Space fries on sheet pan – giving the fries ample space on the sheet pans is crucial for getting them to cook up crispy. If you overcrowd the fries they will steam and not brown properly.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these fries!
- Flavor breading differently – try different dried herbs or a little more cayenne powder for some heat.
- Add cheese to breading – add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or asiago to the panko mixture.
- Use summer squash – this recipe will work great with summer squash in place of the zucchini.
Storing and Reheating Fries
These fries store well in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To reheat fries, air fry in a single layer at 375F 4-6 minutes or oven bake in a single layer at 400F 12-15 minutes.
We do not recommend microwaving fries as a method of reheating as this will make the fries soggy.
It’s utterly insane how crispy these zucchini fries turn out for not being deep-fried! The coating is crisp, flavorful, and every bit as good as regular fries.
Seriously guys, mere words can’t describe how amazing these fries are. You need to get a batch in the oven NOW and find out for yourself.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Try these other keeper zucchini recipes next!
Oven Zucchini Fries
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 2% or skim milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-in x 3-1/2-in fries
- Canola or vegetable oil pan spray
- Ranch dressing, barbecue, or marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease two medium sheet pans and set aside (see blog post for air fryer instructions)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk until smooth. In a separate shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper to taste. In a third shallow bowl, combine panko, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dredge zucchini fries in flour, shaking off excess. Dip zucchini in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs until fully coated. Arrange zucchini between sheet pans, spacing fries apart as much as possible. Spray zucchini well with pan spray.
- Bake zucchini fries at 425F 15-20 minutes until fries are golden brown and crispy. Serve fries warm with your choice of dipping sauce. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe tips and photos on 7/20/23.