Thick and chunky, this kickin’ steak chili is the ultimate football food fare! Feel free to dial back the heat if you like your chili a little tamer.
Or kick-you-in-the-pants chili, but that title is not really SEO-friendly…
So we’ll just settle with ‘kickin. And butt-kickin’ this chili certainly is.
Comfort food and spicy Mexican food combine into one awesome chili and guys….the awesomeness. I can’t handle it.
Neither can my tastebuds and my mind can’t stop thinking about it. Better go grab another bowlful.
Let’s go over the 3 components to a ‘kickin steak chili, shall we?
But my heat lovin’ friends? Grab a bowlful of this awesome stuff and get comfy.
So steak chili. It’s kinda something new to me. Growing up, my mom would make turkey chili, beef chili, and even chicken chili, but never steak.
Now ordinarily I’m not too big on steaks or beef roasts. It’s too rich and fatty for my taste. I usually prefer leaner meats like chicken or turkey. But today? I wanted to go ALL out this chili.
After all, tomorrow IS the last day of Chili Week. But don’t cry yet, because I’ve planned an extra-special chili post to share tomorrow so’s we can go out of Chili Week with a bang.
Ooh, guys it’s gonna be so good. CAN’T WAIT.
But that’s tomorrow. Come back tomorrow-io if you want the scoop. 🙂
So today’s chili. As I said before, I’m not too big on beef, but my family loves it and I’ll be totally cool with beef as long as it’s cooked with something else.
Like chili. With tons of heat.
Then, it’s guaranteed that I’ll drain my bowl.
Plus the beef simmers in the chili for over an hour, so by the time it’s done cooking and ready for devouring, the beef cubes are fall-apart chewy and tender. ♥
Oh, and one other thing: you’ve gotta have LOTS of warm homemade cornbread crumbled on top of this chili, otherwise it’s just not the same.
Extra carbs and I have always been friends. 🙂
My FAVORITE cornbread recipe is coming to the blog soon.
Get ‘yo Mexican/comfort food on and make this chili. Everyone needs a kick-in-the-pants chili recipe up their sleeves especially when it’s freezing outside. Like now for example.
Plus your football Sunday is BEGGING for a huge-ish pot of this touchdown-worthy chili. Any guy will love you forever.
Just make sure you get extra-large bowls and possibly even double the batch. You’ll be glad you did. 😉
Kickin’ Steak Chili
- 3 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 30 oz petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese and sour cream for serving optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef cubes, onion, and garlic in oil, stirring occasionally until meat is no longer pink and thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapeno pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Bring chili to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until chili is heated through. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season chili with salt and pepper and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.