Packed with tangy cranberries and gooey chocolate chips, these cranberry chocolate chip muffins are incredibly soft and perfect for any holiday breakfast.
Cranberries and chocolate are taking over your muffin game today! Trust me, this is something you will want to just let happen.
Turns out that tart cranberries and gooey chocolate chips are a match made in heaven if you throw them both in a soft, fluffy muffin base, who knew??
Thankfully, we do now which means you never have to live another day without these muffins in your life.
Rich, soft, incredibly fluffy and just bursting with gooey chocolate and soft cranberries, it’s going to be a small miracle if you don’t end up eating most of these muffins solo.
These Cranberry Chocolate Chip Muffins feature…
- A soft and moist muffin interior
- Tart fresh cranberries and gooey semisweet chocolate
- A quick batter that comes together in minutes
- A freezing option so you can have these muffins on hand for quick breakfasts
Making the Cranberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Greek yogurt
- 2% or skim milk
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Semisweet chocolate chips
Can Muffins Be Made into Quick Bread?
Yes, they sure can! Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and pour batter into pan. Bake quick bread at 350F 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Tips for Perfect Muffins
- Soften butter – make sure your butter is at room temperature before creaming with the sugar.
- Measure flour correctly – we use the spoon-and-level technique for measuring flour as this will prevent over-measuring your flour. Use a spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then level with the back of a knife.
- Bring eggs, yogurt, and milk to room temperature – this will help these ingredients mix more cohesively into the butter.
- Chop cranberries – this makes for little chunks of cranberries evenly dispersed throughout the muffins.
- Gently fold batter – use a light hand when mixing batter and gently fold so as not to overmix.
- Fill muffin cups to brim with batter – this will make for tall bakery-style muffins.
- Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes then reduce heat to 375F – this short blast of heat at the beginning helps the muffins rise nice and tall.
Try these ideas for a different twist on these muffins.
- Try a different chocolate – white chocolate or milk chocolate would be great in place of the semisweet.
- Add nuts – toast 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts and fold into batter.
- Make a streusel topping – any streusel topping recipe will work great on top of these muffins.
- Use a different fruit – try raspberries or strawberries in place of the cranberries.
Storing and Freezing Muffins
Allow muffins to cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. For best results, we recommend reheating muffins in microwave 15-30 seconds before serving.
To freeze muffins, allow them to cool completely, then wrap well and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw muffins at room temperature and reheat in microwave for serving.
Just look at that incredible texture! There’s gooey chocolate and tart cranberries in every bite of these luscious muffins and you will be nothing short of obsessed.
These little gems will impress everyone you serve them to, no doubt about that!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More muffins to bake up next!
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% or skim milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, yogurt, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Fold into liquid mixture until batter is just combined. Fold in cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups to brim with muffin batter and smooth tops. Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking an additional 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool muffins 20 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe tips and photos on 12/7/23.