This honey mustard roast chicken is packed full of cozy flavors and incredible with tender roasted red potatoes and carrots on the side!
We’ve got a surefire winner winner chicken dinner in the house today! Everyone needs a solid roast chicken recipe up their sleeve and I’m just gonna go ahead and say that THIS is that recipe.
Homemade honey mustard smothers every inch of a perfect roast whole chicken and we’ve even got a mess of tender roasted vegetables coming in for side dish duty.
Definitely one of those dinners you pull out to impress someone, but it’ll be our little secret it’s a SUPER easy dinner to make!
And pretty much impossible to mess up. Meet your new go-to chicken dinner!
This Roast Chicken features…
- A sweet and tangy homemade honey mustard sauce
- Perfectly juicy chicken
- Tender roasted red potatoes, carrots, and sweet onion
- An easy starter recipe for roast chicken and minimal ingredients needed
Making the Roast Chicken
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Whole chicken
- Dijon mustard
- Whole grain mustard
- Red potatoes
- Sweet onion
- Olive oil
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend choosing a 4-5 lb whole chicken for this recipe. Make sure you remove and discard any neck, giblets, or gravy packets from the cavity before roasting chicken.
Can I use a different cut of chicken? Yes, you can but you will need to adjust the cook time as listed below.
- Bone-in thighs: roast chicken with vegetables at 375F 25-30 minutes until chicken registers 165F.
- Boneless thighs: roast chicken at 375F 20-25 minutes until chicken registers 165F. Be aware that the thighs will likely be done before the vegetables and we recommend roasting them separately.
- Breasts: roast chicken with vegetables at 375F 25-30 minutes until chicken registers 165F.
Tips for Perfect Roast Chicken
- Tie legs together and tuck wings – this will help the chicken keep its shape during roasting and cook evenly.
- Use two kinds of mustard in sauce – whole grain and Dijon mustard add different layers of mustard flavor that pack so much flavor into the sauce.
- Cut vegetables in uniform size – aim for 1-inch cubes so the vegetables roast evenly.
- Roast chicken in half of sauce – brush the chicken with half the sauce and save the other half for brushing on the chicken after roasting for extra flavor.
- Allow chicken to rest before carving – we recommend a rest time of at least 30 minutes and up to 60 to ensure that the juices stay inside the chicken.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this chicken.
- Roast different vegetables – try sweet potatoes, butternut squash, parsnips, or beets.
- Add some heat – try mixing some red pepper flakes or cayenne in the honey mustard sauce for a little kick of heat.
- Use different fresh herbs – fresh thyme or sage would be great in place of the rosemary.
This chicken goes well with a variety of meals! It’s amazing served alongside mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, or a big green salad.
If you end up with leftovers they reheat very well in the microwave or repurpose them in a soup!
There’s just nothing like a good roast chicken and this honey mustard version ticks every single dinner box! The homemade honey mustard sauce is a game-changer here and coats both the chicken and the vegetables with all its goodness.
Cozy dinners like this one every night, please!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More roast chicken favorites to make next!
Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (4-5 lb) whole chicken, neck and giblets removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Additional rosemary sprigs for roasting
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place breast side-up on a wire rack in a roaster pan. Use kitchen twine to tie legs together and tuck wings under bird. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, combine mustards, honey, rosemary, and garlic. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, toss potatoes, carrots, and onion with olive oil. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste and arrange around chicken.
- Brush half of honey mustard sauce all over chicken, reserving remaining half for later. Arrange a few rosemary sprigs around chicken.
- Roast chicken and vegetables at 400F 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and continue roasting 40-45 minutes until the thickest part of the chicken thigh registers 165F. Remove chicken from oven and brush with remaining honey mustard over chicken.
- Cover chicken lightly with tin foil and allow to rest 30-60 minutes before carving and serving warm with vegetables. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 12/29/23.