These layered pancake towers combine all the things you love about strawberry shortcake into one showstopping weekend breakfast that’s guaranteed to wow brunch guests!
So I think we can safely say that the strawberry craving got a little bit out of control this past week….
I swear, those juicy little summer strawberries just whisper to me: Put me in all the things! So I do with zerooooo regrets.
Case-in-point: Right now. So uhhh obviously my TGIF spirit got the better of me today. Strawberry shortcake pancake towers all around for everybody!
Is your mind blown yet? Mine is just barely hanging on.
So talk to me: is summer in full swing in your neck of the woods yet? It sure as heck is here. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, (70s and sunny here all week—yaaay!) nearly all of the busy summer activities have started up again, pool days are pretty much EVERY day, and…..well, when I break out the ice cream maker twice during the same week then you KNOW it’s really summer again.
P.S. I’ve got a few killer ice cream recipes coming soon-ish.
P.P.S. You’re reaaaaaaally gonna love them.
Alright, have I rambled about my current life enough for you guys yet? Sorry, I’m feeling kinda chatty today. I’d say it’s time we talk about mind-blowing weekend breakfasts and the fact that strawberries are IN STYLE again and lord forbid us from not keeping up with the trends, c’mon!
*pant, pant* Okay, I’m breathing again. Please continue.
Here we go: Guuuuuuuys, I seriously just made us all pretty much the ultimate summer weekend breakfast.
Strawberry shortcake in multi-layered breakfast form with PANCAKES.
With pillow-y whipped cream and extra-extra fresh strawberry sauce because we’re going all out here.
Shutthefrontdoor. Just do it.
Allow me to recap in plain English just what we’ve got going on here in Summer Wonderland this lovely Friday morning.
- Ultra-soft and fluffy buttermilk cornmeal pancakes. The rustic-ness! I ♥ it.
- Lightly sweetened billow-y whipped cream with texture similar to that of a goose-feather pillow. (no, really!)
- A super-fresh, slightly-tangy-but perfectly-sweet strawberry sauce that sorta tastes like summer got put into one bowl. (true story!)
And now imagine, if you will, ALL of these lovely components hanging out together in multi-layered breakfast towers. Layer after luscious layer of fluffy pancakes, juicy strawberries, and soft whipped cream all mimicking strawberry shortcake in easy-peasy Saturday morning-style breakfast fare that ANYONE can make.
It’s okay to drool a little bit, guys. A completely normal response to such breakfast insanity.
In fact, forget what I said earlier about my mind just barely hanging on by a thread. It’s going-going-BLOWN.
I get the feeling my family was properly impressed over these pancake towers when I made them last weekend. There were a lot of oohs and ahhs and even a few, this is the best breakfast ever! squeals.
No lies here, guys. Strawberry shortcake in breakfast form ROCKS THE TASTEBUDS. And it will rock your weekend. And possibly your whole summer. 😉
Seriously though: this = complete-and-total strawberry insanity. ♥
Strawberry Shortcake Pancake Towers
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Sweetened whipped cream for serving
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar. In a separate large bowl, whisk egg, oil, and buttermilk until smooth. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook pancakes by 1/4 cupfuls in batches 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side until golden-brown.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of strawberries with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir in remaining 1 cup sliced strawberries. Let strawberries stand 10 minutes or until they release their juices.
- Assemble the towers: Layer 3 pancakes with strawberry sauce and whipped cream on a serving plate. Repeat with remaining pancakes, strawberries, and whipped cream. Serve immediately
More strawberry eats because it’s strawberry season!